basal grinding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basal grinding

Does anyone have a good example of basal grinding that clearly shows the "grinding", was this used in the hafting process? Is basal grinding used in a wide time frame or just individual point types or classifications. Sorry for all the questions just wanted some info.

Most (afraid to say all) Paleo and early Archaic points have basal grinding to some degree. This practice, however, continued on some types into the later archaic periods and there are even some rare Woodland examples. It is a hard thing to picture but here is the best I can do,It is much easier to feel the grinding. I sometimes use my bottom lip (very carefully of course) to detect it.
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Great picture Ray that is an awesome example.
      Hoss
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

wow what a pic, that shows me just what i wanted to see thanks ray. I assume they did that so the material used to fix point to arrow was not cut?

Comment

This is grinding on a broken Hasket.

Jack

Comment

dirt kicker wrote:

wow what a pic, that shows me just what i wanted to see thanks ray. I assume they did that so the material used to fix point to arrow was not cut?
              I assume that is the reason.
            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Great pictures Jack
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I think the main purpose for basal grinding was to make a stronger point in the hafting area. If you divide an arrow/spear point into it's different parts, the front would obviously be for stabbing/cutting (as well as aerodynamics), and would probably sustain most of the damage incurred during use. By 'squaring/boxing a base by grinding it's less likely to chip or a crack like it could from a lacy edge. With hafting intact it would be easier to resharpen a tip or blade edge for a quick reuse.
                If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

In this earlier thread is an example of a Palmer with the base ground almost completely flat.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies everyone great info. Man i love this site just a wealth of information.

Comment

Working...
                    X