Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrowheads in the rough?

:cheer:
    I was hunting arrowheads around Elgin Tx. Farm land last year with my buddy and found a light brown colored 
    stone which had a arrowhead shape for sure and had been worked on. It is about three inches long one and one half wide at what appears to be it's base and slims down on the rough point to about five eights of a inch. On one side it appears to be a completed or almost finished point yet when I place the flat part of the point it has a triangular shape on three sides making the thickness with the flat side flat on the table a little over one inch high. My friend told me it was a nice find and looked like it was roughed out yet unfinished...a work in progress and they had to move on. Has anyone come across these a lot and did they rough material out and sometimes carry them with them as they traveled or did they just move on to the next place where materials were easily found? I know I would likely not carry too many of them as they could get heavy. I am just a novice and would appreciate any comment from anyone. Thank You.

Lewis,
    In answer to your question did they rough them out? Yes.
    The various "tribes" would have some of their group that stayed in a particular area that had a reliable water source and was rich in various edibles that could be readidly harvested and consumed while the hunter/gathers wandered the surrounding area for resources. These resources could be anything that they could use in their day to day life. One such was lithic materials. When these materials were found sometimes the wandering part of the group would "test" the material and possiblly rough out a "preform".
    These "preforms' could be traded with other wandering groups for the things that they themselves had little or no access to. The wanderers could sometimes take them back to the family group and they would trade them for finished goods.
    I have found "preforms" fashioned out of materials that came from areas no where near where they were found.
    In the "Paleo" world, of our ancients, some of the lithics came from very distant sources and locals found them desirable for their own uses. This distant source could account for some of the "Out of area context" finds made from time to time.
    Most of the collectors on this forum have found just such items and have posted them here.
    I do wish you good luck in your persuits and get out there and find the "finished" product so we can oohhh aahhh some of your stuff that you find.
    BTW: Let's see that "preform" and welcome to the best forum on the WWW!
    Jess B.
    It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
    It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
    Circa:1982

Comment

Working...
    X