Small triple notched point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small triple notched point

So this was purchased in a Hancock County IL collection but it was one of the few not cataloged. So I am just curious if it is authentic, I had concerns just because of the color and it just seems different than the rest of the pieces I purchased.

Cahokian…. Authentic or not, I cannot say.
    I’ve never seen that material before, to me, that throws a red flag.
    Last edited by UpNorth; 01-11-2023, 01:00 AM.
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

If it was a sizeable collection and if all of the other points in the collection are authentic then I think you would have no reason to doubt this one.

Comment

I agree with both of the above comments.

If the rest of the collection is clean family found collection, this piece is likely good. It wasn't a particularly valuable style of arrowhead many years ago.

But the material does throw me for a loop as well. Also pretty shallow notches for the type, most Cahokia triple notch points have deeper notches.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Solid advice so far, the material "may be" some type of river cobble or glacial flint.
          Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Hard to tell with your pictures. You can’t see much detail. The lithic is unusual for what we usually see here.
            South Dakota

Comment

Ate you sure the entire collection came from the same area? There are points out here in the west that are made like that. Billings, here in Montana, and i think, Harrell in other western states... we also have some of the most exotic lithics you will see out here.
              Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

Working...
              X