Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cskelton
    replied
    Ate you sure the entire collection came from the same area? There are points out here in the west that are made like that. Billings, here in Montana, and i think, Harrell in other western states... we also have some of the most exotic lithics you will see out here.

Leave a comment:

• SDhunter
    replied
    Hard to tell with your pictures. You can’t see much detail. The lithic is unusual for what we usually see here.

Leave a comment:

• paohrocks
    replied
    Solid advice so far, the material "may be" some type of river cobble or glacial flint.

Leave a comment:

• clovisoid
    replied
    I agree with both of the above comments.

If the rest of the collection is clean family found collection, this piece is likely good. It wasn't a particularly valuable style of arrowhead many years ago.

But the material does throw me for a loop as well. Also pretty shallow notches for the type, most Cahokia triple notch points have deeper notches.

Leave a comment:

• sailorjoe
    replied
    If it was a sizeable collection and if all of the other points in the collection are authentic then I think you would have no reason to doubt this one.

Leave a comment:

• UpNorth
    replied
    Cahokian…. Authentic or not, I cannot say.
    I’ve never seen that material before, to me, that throws a red flag.
    Last edited by UpNorth; 01-11-2023, 01:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Cmt04
    started a topic Small triple notched point

Small triple notched point

So this was purchased in a Hancock County IL collection but it was one of the few not cataloged. So I am just curious if it is authentic, I had concerns just because of the color and it just seems different than the rest of the pieces I purchased.
Working...
X