Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has an intact atlatl ever been recovered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has an intact atlatl ever been recovered?

While hunting the other day, I came across a stage wooden object. Instantly I just knew it was an atlatl, I even said it out loud lol.. I've never seen one, new or ancient, but for some reason that's where my mind went. It was about 2ft long straight as an arrow, slightly rotted and broke at one end. The other end looked like an upside down pistol grip. I couldn't tell if it was carved or natural, but the wood grains appeared to go in different directions. There was another straight as an arrow piece right next to it, also about 1.5ft-2ft long. The longer I thought about it, the more reality set it that this was likely impossible. A piece of wood that skinny(~1"diameter) couldn't possibly last more that a few hundred years, AT MOST, in the creek Bank...a pretty wet environment. I set it back down and turned my attention to ask the huge choppers and flakes of Burlington everywhere. But I couldn't stop thinking about it so I Googled it. Couldn't find anything on finding an ancient one but a stopped as soon as I saw this pic. The handle on the piece u saw was pretty close to identical of the one in this pic. Has anyone ever heard of one being found intact? Outside of the ice fields, lol. Missouri area... thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230117-233517_Google.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	671920 looked EXACTLY like this, but no hook. I looked. Thinking about going back to retrieve it....

id like to see it if you get it . i do belive they've found a few in caves out west
    Utah

Comment

Yes. Search google for β€œintact atlatl found” and many articles will show up.
      πŸ‘
      Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Yes but I don’t think you’re ever gonna find any ancient wood anything that’s not bent and withered from age.. you mentioned straight.... at least that’s my thought on it I don’t think I just think it’s a more modern one.. Photos would be greatπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
        Floridaboy.

Comment

I heard a few have been recovered in West Texas and New Mexico caves. Even one in Nevada I think. When I get back in the office later today I will find some pics.
          FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

Utah

Comment

The desert southwest as well are arctic regions can preserve wood artifacts very well. Many new discoveries of organic artifacts have been recovered as glaciers have been slowly receding. Still rare but those discoveries add pieces to the ancient puzzle.
              Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Go back and get it, post some pictures!
                Last edited by BoilerMike; 01-27-2023, 10:56 PM.
                Central Indiana

Comment

The Bowser Road mastodon, New York, and mastodon ribs used as atlatls…..

At the Massachusetts ASAA meeting on 6/25/16, Dr. Mike Gramly shows the first known Clovis atlatls, which he excavated at the Bowser Road Mastodon Site in Orange

β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”

Rhode Island

Comment

• Uncle Trav
                    Uncle Trav commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very cool!

• Tam
                    Tam commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice

Many have been found along with the projectiles. Up in the Canadian tundra there is a few glaziers receding and their find lots of them.

Comment

Go back and get it !! You never know .

Comment

Working...
                    X