Artifact restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artifact restoration

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230207-074322_Instagram.jpg Views:	1 Size:	173.4 KB ID:	675180
    I recently found a beautifully crafted broken point and I would like to have it professionally restored. It is thin and finely serrated.

Does anyone have experience with artifact restoration? Who restored it for you? Who do you recommend?

Here's a photo I edited of what this piece might have once looked like. Thanks for looking.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230207-201026_Instagram.jpg Views:	2 Size:	200.3 KB ID:	675182
    Massachusetts

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3595 - Copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.6 KB ID:	675192 Here is two pieces i restored, bought them to restore. i did the work myself because i just can't bring my self to restore an artifact i have found. The point of e notched Bolen is restored and several places on Savannah River point. I do have a Tallahatta Quartzite Ocella Greenbrier point that was professionally restored but i wont ever find one of those. all bought and restored points are in a separate case and not mixed in my found collection . All are personal finds and one site collection. Just personal preference.
    Last edited by willjo; 02-07-2023, 10:35 PM.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• paohrocks
      paohrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice work!

Dr Gomer in Florida has a good reputation, willjo has some nicely restored points there
    2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

• willjo
      willjo commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are ok but i wouldn't want to pay for those restored points. Gomer has a good reputation and also Bushie, who is the person who restored the one i had done.

Certain points beg to be restored and I believe they should be....And I have a few....Like Johnny said, “in separate frames “..Where they shine..The original owner would probably say WOW..Plus, it’s great fun..

impressive workmanship on that one
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Thank you for the feedback everyone. Has anyone had a point restored by Keith Etchison?
      Massachusetts

Comment

From what I can see on his sales on ebay (Etched n Stone) He does a great job imo....

Comment

• Cotuit
          Cotuit commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree. I've been told that he uses real stone to restore artifacts which is why I'm interested in his work. On this forum however there is hardly any mention of him which leaves me skeptical. I've been told by others to try Dr. Gomer or Dennis Bushey. I cannot find Bushey's contact information, but his work is impressive.

Dr Gomer is the man for solid attractive repairs. I understand Texas's David Dickey may have put his repair shingle out as well.
        He is very talented as well. He has shown some beautiful work on line.
        FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

Man you did a beautiful job photoshopping this point. How did you do that? Kim
          Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• Cotuit
            Cotuit commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for the kind words! I used a photo editor on my girlfriend's iPad. I didn't really know what I was doing but I had a lot of fun with it.

Here is a point restored by Dennis Bushy a Tallahatta quartzite Osceola Greenbrier which was laying out in a junk pile at my friends house, ask if i could have and he said ok, just needed a point. There is a point restored by Dr. Gomer on page 241 of The Best of Best identification and price guide 4th editionYou can tell where the restoration was because the point is Translucent and restoration is not Center point. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3597.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	675287Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3596.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	675286
          South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Both Bushey and Gomer are amazing from what restorations of theirs i have seen. I tossed the idea around of having a couple Calf Creeks done and even posted about it and after reading everyone’s views and opinions I decided to leave them as i found them. I do not wish to restore any of my personal finds. As Willjo did, purchase pieces just to have restored would be another situation id have to consider yet i do not purchase any myself. Its a personal choice wether to do it or not, after all, you rescued it and it belongs to you so do whatever makes you happy. But always keep the restoration documentation with it and inform those of its restoration if you were ever to sell it or pass it on.

Comment

• Cotuit
              Cotuit commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the insight. I sent it out to be restored and it should come back with a certificate that shows before and after pictures of the piece. I've never sold anything I've found, and I have no plans on ever selling this piece. I will be very transparent regarding this piece's restoration history and keep restoration documentation with it.

Dr. Gomer is one of the best. Google him.
            FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

Working...
            X