Found on property of 1745 home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found on property of 1745 home

Hi, I apologize if this question seems crazy, but you guys are my last resort. We found a bone and clay pendant wrapped in cloth behind our foundation wall. After getting them checked out we found that the bone is a small child's radius bone and the pendant was something un-identified. We were told that due to the age of the bone we would be better off seeking help on the pendant from a Native American historian perhaps. I am quite the skeptic but it was worth a shot. Does anybody know what this is? Why was it buried with a bone?
    We have also found more bone fragments along with clay marbles and shells.
    The pendant is about 2 inches in height.
    Thank you in advance to anyone who points me in the right direction!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-02-10 [replaced].jpg
Views:	33
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	213763

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-02-10-2 [replaced].jpg
Views:	22
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	213764

Really can't help you with an ID but it certainly does not look Native american.
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

What it the material the "pendant" made from?

Comment

It is made from clay

Comment

My advice is that if you already know you are digging in a grave due to finding human remains. You cease digging and notify the authorities, or throw laws and respect to the wind and keep defiling a possible child's grave to satisfy your curiosity.

Comment

I have been reading some articles lately related to buried objects near doorways, hearths, foundations, etc.  It is possible it is a tradition from slaves in America.  Rituals brought from Africa include burying varied items to bring good luck or ward off evil spirits.  This could explain the cloth still being intact.  Do you know if the property ever had slaves on it?  Good luck in your quest.

Comment

Again, I have already taken the proper steps in this matter. Due to the age of the bone the "authorities" have deemed this a non-active investigation. There is no skull or other intact bones, just a few smaller fragments. I was not asking for moral advice, just information on the clay piece and why it would be put alongside a bone. That is all.

Comment

I agree that it does not look like Native American design elements on the pendant, but I have no idea otherwise. Dovetail's suggestion sounds worth following up on, though. And welcome to the forum from a fellow New Englander!
                Rhode Island

Comment

If I found that in your area  I would try an contact Nick Bellantoni. He has worked as the CT State Archaeologist since the late 80's He is an anthropologist who specializes in bones.
                  He might not be able to help you out but it is worth a shot.
                  He has been on National Geographic and other shows as well He might take an interest because of the bone or he might decline to comment. I have met Nick and I do know that bones is an area of interest to him.
                  Here is an old interview with him that was posted on youtube
                  Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                  X