Four notched arrowhead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four notched arrowhead.

I went out,and found five points today,after a heavy rain last night.I had looked near a root and found what appeared to be a point with nicks in the butt.When I cleaned it off and looked closer,it was notched out like that.It is not broken,can anyone Identify this for me.

That is one cool and unique point! If it didn't have the base notches, according to Overstreets I.D. Guide- this point resembles several point types from your area in south central US which includes the majority of Texas, of course Oklahoma, Arkansas, and half of Louisiana. These point types are "Big Creek", "Castroville", "Marshall", and "Williams". You probably want to look into it further as I am far from being an expert on Id'ing points. But, according to modern man and the classification book I have, the point you have doesn't exist or has yet to be found and I.D.'ed except by you! I have the ninth edition which is a couple of years old. Maybe they do have this point listed in one of the newer editions.? And who's to say that the ancient manufacturer of it decided not to go by the book, and get a little creative and make his own point different from everyone else! That's something that'll make you go hmmm? Awesome, unique, one of a kind point! Hope this info helps or leads you in the right direction. Congrats and happy hunting.

Comment

Very nice and interesting point.It is a hopewell point that has had the base modified.The reason for the modification will remain a mystery.My guess would be that the base got broken and the ancientman who made it modified it so they could continue using.Can you tell if there is a difference in the patina around the modified area?If so that would indicate that it was modified later in time.Cool piece,thx for the look.

Comment

i like the odd ones like that

Comment

No change in the patina it might be a hopewell,but without the notches we could tell.Maybe the maker did chipped the base by accident and finished it by notching it out.It could really be any type of corner notched point.

Comment

I've seen one like that but the base continued done past the second notches

Comment

Working...
            X