Large vertebra found in North Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large vertebra found in North Texas

We found this vertebra in one of our favorite rivers here in North Texas that regularly produces teeth and bones from Mosasaur, Mammoth, Mastodon, Bison, Shark, etc..as well as some very nice artifacts.
    Although we have all found some very nice bones and teeth in this river, this is by far the largest vert we've ever came across.
    Suggestions on the typology ?
    Note: Although mineralized, It's not solid stone yet and it still has some bone marrow-like structure to it, especially where the little "wings" have broken off.
    Thanks
    Mike

http://www.logic2.com/arrowheads/photomm.JPG not found

Hi Mike
    Some views around the edges and both faces would help... but it looks like a whale vertebra to me. They're very porous and usually exhibit significant decomposition prior to fossilisation, so that may be what you are observing.
    More details of the location you are hunting would also probably help pin it down more precisely, but I understand if you are reluctant to share that information.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

painshill wrote:

Hi Mike
      Some views around the edges and both faces would help... but it looks like a whale vertebra to me. They're very porous and usually exhibit significant decomposition prior to fossilisation, so that may be what you are observing.
      More details of the location you are hunting would also probably help pin it down more precisely, but I understand if you are reluctant to share that information.
        I was hoping you would reply to this one Rodger. I was wanting to see what you said about it. Isn't boneandstone (sorry can't think of your name right now) from Texas
      I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

[QUOTE]Jeffery Howle wrote:

Originally posted by painshill post=110022
        Hi Mike
          I was hoping you would reply to this one Rodger. I was wanting to see what you said about it. Isn't boneandstone (sorry can't think of your name right now) from Texas
        yep... Jess is from Texas. I expect he'll want to see some better views of it too and have a more precise location.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Here's one that a boy scout troup found at our mine site a couple years back. Sorry for pic quality only ones I have.

east Tx.

Comment

Focus!! Focus!!!
            Information on vertebrate material in N. Tx is mostly out of the sulphur River area.
            Some out of the Sherman Tx. area to some degree.
            If you are finding mos matl then it is not too far fetched to consider short neck pleis.
            Incomplete perminerialization is not common but not unheard of either.
            If you are a member of the Dallas Paleo or have any connections to SMU let Lewis Jacobs take a look.
            He is the leading vertebrate paleontologist here in N Tx.
            Don't know if you are a member of the fossil forum but they do a lot of great things there.
            BTW: Whale vert in N. Tex??? Unheard of.
            Bone2stone
            It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
            It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
            Circa:1982

Comment

The verti.was found in central east Tx. If that helps.
              east Tx.

Comment

Still just to be clear many finds are found there displaced when they moved to Alabama,
                found by a person who found it and now we see a possible whale vert in Tx.
                No whale verts in Tx. period.4
                Jess B.
                More and better pics if possible.
                It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                Circa:1982

Comment

Working...
                X