Who knows their bones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knows their bones?

I thought I was picking up a fossil when I pulled this bone out of the dirt. The only part above ground was the whiter fossilized looking portion. I know less about bones than I do about arrowheads. Imagine my reaction to be holding this in my hand!

Pam - it appears to be a newer bone based on the coloring and lack of wear.  The whiter part of the bone was caused by the sun bleaching it out.  What is the size we might be able to figure out the animal it came from. ---Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Hey Chuck--This bone is appx. 9" long, and 4" in diameter at the narrowist point.  Which part of the body is this bone from?  It's still wet from the ground and from washing the mud off.  Poor dead animal!

Comment

Pam - This pic shows three items found in a cave.  The bone on the left was probably used to put the fine edges on a point.  It was found on the surface and may be only 100 yrs old or so.  The middle deer tine was also found on the surface in the same cave but doesn't appear to have any wear on it so it may have been debris off a deer antler.  The bone on the right, shaped like a point was found about 12" underground and is probably not related to the other finds because it is substantially older as you can tell from the black color and it is really hard, not fossilized yet tho.  Unfortunately it would take all of the artifacts or specimen to do any date testing, not to mention the cost.  Just thought you might be interested.  ---Chuck 

Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Pam - The length of the bone suggests a small type animal but that end joint on the left end as shown in your photo indicates only forward -and- backward movement, unlike a wrist joint in humans.  However, you say it's 4 inches in diameter at the narrowest point which means that the joints would have to be 6 - 8 inches wide.  Gonna have to do some research on that one. ---Chuck

Comment

Nice Knife Chuck...........

Comment

Butch - Not again.   :laugh:  You're supposed to comment on the bones.  Ya ain't gett'n my knife.  It's a good'un and I tend to keep it.  Soooo there.    ---Chuck

Comment

Sorry Chuck,
                Yep, It's a bone. Sheesh!

Comment

Butch -and- Chuck:laugh: If my Grandson and I were as dead as the animal that bone belonged to, we'd be rollin over in our graves!!!

Comment

Pam got any hogs upar ? Looks what we have left after a pulled pork shoulder sammich ! Naw, ain't a hog only 9 inches long. Some other critter!

Comment

It's a funny bone! :laugh:

Comment

Cannon Bone, still has cartilage, not old.   Looks like horse, but what do I know except it's a cannon bone.
                        Professor Shellman
                        Tampa Bay

Comment

Tom - You sure.  I ain't never seen a cannon bone that short - 9", unless its off'n a mini-horse.  Pam - I think yar rite-  It's a funny bone.  got everybody laff'n and a jok'n.  ---Chuck

Comment

That's about the same length and size as a cow legbone I picked up in the cow pasture, from the whole skeleton someone had let lay a few years. It might be cow or bison.

Comment

Moo cow?

Comment

Working...
                              X