Swimming With Trilobites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swimming With Trilobites

This might take a spell. Going to try and tell a tale of a certain family of trilobites and a different world  hundreds of millions of years ago.
    Once upon a time, and for a long time, there existed an arc of volcanic islands in an earlier Atlantic. This island arc has been given the name Avalonia, named for the Avalon Peninsula on Newfoundland. Let's look at the chart below, in French, and depicting the parts of our present day world that were once part of ancient Avalonia:

In English:
    BE= Belgium.           GB/UK= Great Britain
    CA= Canada.            IE= Ireland
    DE= Denmark.           NL= Netherlands
    FR= France.                PL= Poland
    US= US
    Other areas that were once part of this arc of volcanic islands include portions of both North and South Carolina, the Bohemia region of the Czech Republic, Spain, and Morocco in North Africa. Here's a map showing, in yellow, areas that were at one time part of ancient Avalonia:

More information on the Avalonian formations of lower Narragansett Bay, RI can be found here:

"The world was very different then. The arc formed offshore of present day Morocco (northwest Africa) and Venezuela (northern South America) when Africa and South America were joined in a larger continent called Gondwana. At that time, the part of Africa that is now the Sahara Desert was located at the south pole!
    Rhode Island's nearest neighbor (across-the-sea, as opposed to other parts of the Avalonian volcanic arc) was located to the south, closer to Gondwana, in a triangular bit of ocean. It was an island - now it is the state of Florida. To the west, along the Avalonian arc, were parts of what is now the eastern United States southward to the Carolinas. To the east, along the arc, were parts of present-day Massachusetts, Maine, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Morocco, southern Ireland, southern England, Wales, Portugal, western Spain, northwest France, Belgium, Holland and northern Germany. There was no life on the land. Living things were found only in the sea, and they were just beginning to evolve from single-cell organisms into some of the earliest soft-bodied, multi-cellular organisms."
    Geologists find a wealth of data in the rocks and fossils of Rhode Island, once part of a chain of volcanic islands in the Southern Hemisphere.

The link above delves into the fact that around the shallow waters of ancient Avalonia lived a particular family of trilobites: the Paradoxidoidea family. And, since this family of trilobite ONLY lived around Avalonia, wherever one finds fossils of that trilobite family, that is proof that the formation where found was once a part of Avalonia. So, look at the schematic map of Avalonia at the start of this thread, and the list of lands in the preceding paragraph here, and you can see how, widely separated portions of today's world, were once together as a chain of islands in the Southern Hemisphere of an earlier Atlantic Ocean.
    And so here are a few trilobites found in the rocks of Avalonia, and now scattered about the Earth. All members of the same family of trilobites, all restricted to the shallow seas of Avalonia.
    Paradoxides davidis, Middle Cambrian, Newfoundland. 7" in length:

Paradoxides pradoanus, Spain.

From the Czech Republic, two specimens of Paradoxides gracilis:

Last edited by CMD; 12-03-2023, 07:40 PM.
    Rhode Island

Specimens of Eccaparadoxides sp., Mid Cambrian, Morocco:
    8" specimen, no restoration:

Positive and negative:

Juvenile at 3":

12" specimen of Accadoparadoxides briareus, Morocco. These are perhaps the most famous trilobites from Morocco, and are often substantially restored, even often fabricated completely. Gotta be careful! This one is 99.99% real....

Photo of un identified Paradoxides sp. trilobite fossil found in Rhode Island and now in the Smithsonian collection. At the time of discovery, these phyllites were described as "the most metamorphic rocks in the world known to contain trilobites".

Wikipedia entry for Paradoxides:
      http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradoxides
    Discoveries in the Carolinas:

So, there you have it. Guess I really like Paradoxides fossils   it is the genus that got me into trilobites as a child. Fascinating that where I live was once a volcanic island south of the equator hmy:
    Last edited by CMD; 12-03-2023, 06:15 PM.
    Rhode Island

Comment

I just passed this beautiful specimen of a double Paradoxides gracilis from Bohemia along to a friend who is building a nice trilobite collection. Longest of the 2 is about 4 1/2", and shows superior detail....

Rhode Island

Comment

Way cool charlie!! I've always liked trilobites but never owned one....now I think I'm going to have to find a few for myself!!
        Southern Connecticut

Comment

I found 3 "baby" ones in the gravel driveways around my house growing up.  They were always my favorite fossils.  I ended up buying one too.  Those are all really nice Charlie.
          Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Thanks, guys.

The late physicist and polymath Riccardo Levi-Setti visited the Manuels River of Newfoundland many times, and collected spectacular specimens of Paradoxides sp.

The expert who uncovered a 500-million-year-old complete trilobite fossil has gifted it back to the local Newfoundland interpretation centre instead of to a large U.S. museum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0364.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	711032
            ————————————————————————————————————

Steve Koppes (USA) Although he is an experimental physicist who discovered new elementary particles in the early 1950s and invented the high-resolution scanning ion microprobe, Riccardo Levi-Setti …

——————————————————————————————————

Last edited by CMD; 12-03-2023, 07:20 PM.
            Rhode Island

Comment

CMD, This a picture of a sand stone with what I thought were arthropod or trilobite tracks. A little back ground on the site where I was digging my pond in eastern Oklahoma. On the surface i found round rock about  the size of footballs with 300million year coral fossils, in the red mud below I found what I thought were tree stumps, I hit slab rock at 2' to 3' started flipping rock and found what look like a forest layer leave, nuts,  bamboo tree fossils, kept digging and found this shallow sea bed where the tracks were found. From what research I've done the last time Shallow sea were in this region was 500 million years ago when this area was close to the equator.
              I had an Archeologist that found Arthropod tracks on east coast look at them he said that Arthropod did not live that close to shore and that this was probably some of the first insect that came ashore. He told me to contact my local state archeologist. I did, no reply yet, but I did find this article after reading some of yours that might make this an interesting find.

Comment

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry for a yeas long late reply. Those look like water ripple marks, a type of trace fossil….

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                FWIW, not much, since it’s almost 2024, I finally noticed the tracks within the ripples. They do remind one of trilobite tracks, but if what the paleontologist says is accurate, some type of insect? The double tracks don’t look far enough apart for trilobites. Very cool fossil, I apologize for such an oversight, completely drawn to the ripples and did not see tracks.

I found these critters under the sea bed layer. I have seen artist representation of something similar to these in museum, the tail in their pictures was long cone but its missing in these it was in the Cambrian period but i can't remember name . They are about the size of your hand and were to fragile to preserve, they might be just trace fossil or something.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0907 [replaced].jpg
Views:	375
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	200970

Comment

Luvtohunt, in your first photos, the tire tread looking track resembles trilobite tracks to me. Don't know what the other is. But, I suggest starting a separate thread in the fossil category and ask for ID help. Roger(painshill) in particular knows his stuff and might know what your photos display.
                Rhode Island

Comment

Ok thanks I'll do that

Comment

Had an opportunity last weekend to see an essentially complete Acadoparadoxides harlani from Braintree, Ma. On display at the South Shore Science Center in Norwell, Ma. Second photo an unidentified Paradoxides thorax fragment from Newport Co, RI. And the third photo the newest addition to my Moroccan Paradoxides family....
                    Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                    X