Found this Fossil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found this Fossil

Here's a fossil I found. Anybody know what it's a fossil of? I don't!

Cool! Some sort of coral? Id of picked it up too!

Comment

Hi Pam
      Yes, it's coral... I'd say probably Hexagonaria species and possibly H. mirabilis. You didn't say where you found this (you're in Ohio, right?) but these are common in Michigan and probably down towards Ohio too. Typically these are Devonian (around 350 million years).
      Roger
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

painshill wrote:

Hi Pam
        Yes, it's coral... I'd say probably Hexagonaria species and possibly H. mirabilis. You didn't say where you found this (you're in Ohio, right?) but these are common in Michigan and probably down towards Ohio too. Typically these are Devonian (around 350 million years).
        Roger
          Check check check.
        Roger's on the nose!!!
        BTW: Very nice specimen....Would cut and polish beautifully!
        Bone2stone
        It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
        It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
        Circa:1982

Comment

Hey!  Well, I did find this specimen in Ohio.  It wasn't found in the field though.  I picked this piece up in front of my home in the gravel that runs along side of the road.  One more of those, "rocks", that I just can't pass by.  You never know if you may have something if you leave it behind!  I'm elated!

Comment

Yes, these will polish up nicely. You get an effect that looks like lots of little rosettes or flowers clustered together. Very pretty. I've been learning to silversmith for the last couple of years and cabochons (polished domes) of these are sometimes sold by jewellery and gemstone suppliers for use in rings, brooches and pendants. They call it "Petoskey Stone" (I think Petoskey is a place in Michigan).
            Strictly speaking Petoskey Stone is H. percarinata which normally has bigger rosettes than yours, although it's difficult to judge the scale from your pics. There are several Michigan coral species that have this hexagon structure.
            Roger
            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

roustabout149 wrote:

Hey!  Well, I did find this specimen in Ohio.  It wasn't found in the field though.  I picked this piece up in front of my home in the gravel that runs along side of the road.  One more of those, "rocks", that I just can't pass by.  You never know if you may have something if you leave it behind!  I'm elated!
                Well you just never know when something gonna jump out at you.
              That is one sweet fossil. Most of the coral here in Tex just is not the quality stuff that you find elsewhere. Elsewhere being in your own backyard that is.
              Bone2stone
              It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
              It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
              Circa:1982

Comment

Pam,
                Too pretty! Wow!...that is a gorgeous, gorgeous rock!...you are one lucky lady my friend!...and to think you found it in front of your house! How lucky can someone get. I'm so jealous!
                You'll be out there with a pick -and- shovel before long digging up your whole yard now...(need any help?) :woohoo:
                  Great find!
                jane

Comment

Working...
                X