Bone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone

Can someone go to my profile the picture of the bone is there along with a picture of the stone alter where I dug it up? Thanks for your help Gunter

Can someone tell me why the bone in the picture is cut off and what it 's used for. Thank you,Gunter

Comment

Hi Gunter,
      Your pictures may be larger than this site will accept. You can use a photoshop or irfanview.com (free) to make them smaller to upload. Or, a lot of people use photobucket.com them post the url here in your posts.
      Good luck!

Comment

Go to Photobucket.com and join for free.  It's straightforward and easy to use to post pics on almost any forum without problems.
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

Stephen, the cut looks so straight on the bone it is almost scary. Shape wise it almost looks like it was some sort of handle, like maybe they would have mounted a scraper to it for scraping hides our gouging wood. But the straightness of the cut still befuddles me a bit. I am guessing by the pick that the long straight section of the bone is 8" to 10" which makes me think it was a handle. Hope this helps, I am no expert but the best educated guess I can come up with.

Comment

Stephen,
               Please show a closeup of the ends on that bone. It does look pretty fresh for here in the acidic East, and the cuts will probably tell the story.

Comment

You think the cut of the bone is something go back to my profile and check out the rocks they cut.  A bone is nothing when you can cut granite.  The bone is 5.5 inches long and fits your hand very nice.  Thanks for your time Gunter

Comment

Mr. Cliff J, I tried to get you a picture of the end but my camera is not very good. I did post two new pictures for you to look at if you can transfer them to your file my pictures on you computer you can use the zoom to get a better look. I'll try to find someone with a better camera and get you a real picture. Thanks Gunter

Comment

Rib bone, modern-ish
                  Professor Shellman
                  Tampa Bay

Comment

I don't know about rib bone, but it could be a legbone from a roast, from the thickness and marrow size. It appears from the new pics to be a fairly modern bone that someone tossed out. JMO.

Comment

That bone is a cow bone that I know I sent the picture to Western Carolina University to a Anthropologist. As far as modern she would not say or what she thought it was use for but it did come from the same man made hill the stone tool in the picture came from as far as just thrown out that may have been the case but they put it in a strange place where no houses were near until the mid 1970's. Go back and look hard at the rocks that make up this hill you'll see cut stones one of them being a bench seat that is not modern.  I have some people from the Archaeological Society of South Carolina coming next week to look at the hill I'll show them the bone and let you know what they say. Thank's to all who answer my request for information.  Gunter

Comment

Gunter,  It could have easily been discarded in the 1970s or even drug there by a dog. Bones deteriorate pretty quickly in the East.
                        I bet those rocks provided a seat for someone eating a country ham.

Comment

Gunter I hope you solve the mystery, bones are tricky to say the least. And if you are a freak like me it is killing you to get to the bottom of the facts. I wish you luck. I can tell you that here in the Buckeye state prior to beautiful grounds being destroyed the grounds were parts of large farms. Back in the day the cows were dumped in an area away from everything else. You might find more there you never know though. Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

Comment

Working...
                          X