X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pointy Rock

Found this today in a dry stream bed .
    location is Moosomin,Sask.
    im assuming something is broken off the end, but maybe not it is pretty squared up .
    the grains of the stone run with the length pefectly.
    Any Help ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	wy2.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	225241 Click image for larger version

Name:	wy1.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	225242 Click image for larger version

Name:	wy3.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	225243 Click image for larger version

Name:	wy4.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	225244
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Interesting. No clue here?
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Maybe it's a belemnite fossil.....
        Rhode Island

Comment

That's what that is! A fossil belemnite. A cephalopod, related to the squid and cuttlefish. These are found in rocks from the Devonian to the Mississippian Period, and were common during the Jurassic and Cretaceous period. A very common fossil found in the limestone cliffs through out the Mississippi valley, down into Texas, and up into Canada.
          http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Now that's just plain awesome. I've never heard of them but I'll log it in the ole memory bank just in case I run across something like that in the future. Thanks for sharing that ahleeds. ...Chuck
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Add me to the list of folks who learned something new today. A good way to start my day! I'm really glad that I didn't post what I thought it looked like when I first saw the picture before anyone had made comment. That would have provided some humorous entertainment for sure. LOL

Comment

So am I guessing this is the rear body of the little squid ,not a tooth .
                Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by ahleeds View Post
                  So am I guessing this is the rear body of the little squid ,not a tooth . Anthony
                  Yes, it was the very back end of the critter. . Sometimes, they can be translucent, as in this specimen from my fossil collection....
                  Last edited by CMD; 09-15-2016, 12:34 PM.
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Although related straight-shelled cephalopods appeared earlier, belemnites are most abundant in Jurassic and Cretaceous Era deposits. They are very common in the Black Hills. My guess is your specimen dates to the Cretaceous.... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belemnoidea Your specimen is the "guard" of the animal: "The guard, phragmocone and pro-ostracum were all internal to the living creature, forming a skeleton which was enclosed entirely by soft muscular tissue. The original living creature would have been larger than the fossilized shell, with a long streamlined body and prominent eyes. The guard would have been in place toward the rear of the creature, with the phragmocone behind the head and the pointed end of the guard facing backward."
                    Last edited by CMD; 09-15-2016, 12:33 PM.
                    Rhode Island

Comment

• Bone2stone
                      Bone2stone commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And the cigar goes to: CMD!!!!

This one is quite translucent if you shine a light through it,you can see rings on the bottom ,like a tree.
                    Im looking to find out if they are common in Saskatchewan. or if it was carried up north here.
                    Anthony

Comment

CMD you so smart! PK you so smart! Never heard of a belemnite; and b/c I have no pride, will admit thot, “poo, another bullet ....“
                      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

I like that translucent glow one alot. Thats the kind of things not found here.
                        I too have taken several lessons this weekend.
                        N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Comment

H.G.
                          Did you use to slice thin and then the ol’ flower, batter, hot grease? Or more of a calamari sort of dish that tastes like I wish they would have sliced alot thinner and flower, batter, grease?
                          My dog refused to eat after I made the mistake of ordering it once.
                          N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Comment

Working...
                          X