Central Texas Fossils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Texas Fossils

Found these two fossils on our ranch in central Texas, not sure what type they are, all help is greatly appreciated

Nice preservation on those. Jesse (Bone2stone) is our expert for Texas fossils but he hasn't posted for a while.

​They're both oysters. I think the one on the left is an Exogyra species and the one on the right is Ceratostreon... probably C. texanum. Both from the Cretaceous.

Jesse will doubtless confirm or otherwise if he sees this post.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Well issues with smartphone has it's down side.
      Roger it seems you are more apt at _Texas specimens than you let on.
      It is as you have given as far as an ID.
      There are many species of ostera in Texas and this is one.
      I believe they are one and the same species.
      Both are the top half.
      I am sure if you look you will or should find many more of these. They sometimes occur in great masses.
      Look around they show up in the Georgetown and Wallnut formations.
      Associated with other less common specimens such as ammonites and echinoids. (Sea Urchins)
      Hope this helps.
      BTW: I recently have been going through 35+ years of collecting and it takes up a great deal of my time.
      Along with mentoring newbees don't have much time for much of anything else.

Till next time.....
      Bone2stone
      It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
      It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
      Circa:1982

Comment

• Jmhansard
        Jmhansard commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for your help with this, I have found quite a few sea urchins in the hilltops on the ranch, still looking for the prized megalodon tooth!

Thank you both for the help with this, I'll have to get out there again soon and look for more!

Comment

Originally posted by Bone2stone View Post
        Well issues with smartphone has it's down side.
        Roger it seems you are more apt at _Texas specimens than you let on.
        It is as you have given as far as an ID.
        There are many species of ostera in Texas and this is one.
        I believe they are one and the same species.
        Both are the top half.
        I am sure if you look you will or should find many more of these. They sometimes occur in great masses.
        Look around they show up in the Georgetown and Wallnut formations.
        Associated with other less common specimens such as ammonites and echinoids. (Sea Urchins)
        Hope this helps.
        BTW: I recently have been going through 35+ years of collecting and it takes up a great deal of my time.
        Along with mentoring newbees don't have much time for much of anything else.

Till next time.....
        Bone2stone
        Will try as you may there will be no find as far as Megalodon the deposits where the Megs are found are do not occur here in Texas.
        Good luck trying there is so much diversity in the primordial fauna here it could keep a serious collector busy for a lifetime.
        Have a good day and good luck.
        Jess B.
        It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
        It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
        Circa:1982

Comment

Working...
        X