Teeth of a ? ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teeth of a ? ??

I've posted these in another forum and with no definitive conclusions. So I'm posting under this to maybe get more answers. All information greatly appreciated. These were found on an early archaic site in eastern Kentucky at a depth of 18" min below surface.

I've reasearched a bunch on the teeth. Narrowed down to only 2 possibilities. Bison or cow.

Comment

Comment

I replied on your other thread as follows:

If you want a realistic possibility for teeth to be identified (and sometimes it just isn't possible), you really need to do two things:

1. Give them a really good wash (or gentle dry brush if they're fragile) to get all that dirt off them.

2. Show us a view of the occlusal (chewing) surface, looking from above... as on some of the web pictures you found.

Contrary to the information in many web sources, the presence of a stylid is an inconclusive diagnostic. It’s present to some extent in the cheek teeth of all Bovidae, of which there are about 140 species (not all present in North America) - including bison, antelope, gazelle, sheep, goats, muskoxen and domestic cattle. It is also occasionally present in some horses, although far less frequently, much less prominently and normally only in deciduous lower cheek teeth.

The diagnostic for Bison versus Bos is not the stylid itself, but whether the stylid is isolated… ie present as a separate, discrete column of enamel that is separate from the main cusps of the tooth. Even then, it's not 100% reliable for isolated teeth.

Difficult to comment more without some additional pics of the cleaned teeth.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Originally posted by painshill View Post
          I replied on your other thread as follows:

If you want a realistic possibility for teeth to be identified (and sometimes it just isn't possible), you really need to do two things:

1. Give them a really good wash (or gentle dry brush if they're fragile) to get all that dirt off them.

2. Show us a view of the occlusal (chewing) surface, looking from above... as on some of the web pictures you found.

Contrary to the information in many web sources, the presence of a stylid is an inconclusive diagnostic. It’s present to some extent in the cheek teeth of all Bovidae, of which there are about 140 species (not all present in North America) - including bison, antelope, gazelle, sheep, goats, muskoxen and domestic cattle. It is also occasionally present in some horses, although far less frequently, much less prominently and normally only in deciduous lower cheek teeth.

The diagnostic for Bison versus Bos is not the stylid itself, but whether the stylid is isolated… ie present as a separate, discrete column of enamel that is separate from the main cusps of the tooth. Even then, it's not 100% reliable for isolated teeth.

Difficult to comment more without some additional pics of the cleaned teeth.
          Bison is a strong possibility considering the dig and depth.
          Still another possibility on the smaller of the two, Elk.
          All else in consideration many more will come your way keep on digging.
          BTW: Don't get your hopes up at finding a Bison skull. Ain't gonna happen. The NA's did not waste anything. That is why you don't find bones intact. Brokem open for the marrow.
          Jess B. (Bone2stone)
          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
          Circa:1982

Comment

Better pics of cleaned teeth.

Comment

C'mon guys/gals! No more info out there?

Comment

I don't know anything about old teeth but it looks to me like the stylid is isolated.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	tooth 4.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	230159
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
                X