Fossil's in my back yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fossil's in my back yard

The back portion of my property is made up of flat rock that is deeply cracked and from my research it appears it was a seabed from the ordovician period some 400-500 million years ago. We are at the northern most line of where the fossils occur in this area, as you go north from here towards Bancroft Ontario the fossils disappear as the water was too acidic due to volcanic activity. Here are some pictures of the of the creatures that were exposed after the glaciers scraped away the surface. The first group of pictures I believe are cephalopods, the largest one [ in the first 2 pics.] is 3-4 feet long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	148.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	237878Click image for larger version

Name:	149.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	237879Click image for larger version

Name:	152.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	237880Click image for larger version

Name:	161.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	237881Click image for larger version

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	237882Click image for larger version

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	237883

This next group of pictures I believe, but please correct me if I'm wrong are crinoid's.

Name:	150.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	237885Click image for larger version

Name:	153.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	237886 Crinoid & cephalopod.

Name:	156.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	237887Click image for larger version

Name:	158.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	237888

Comment

I'm not sure what these are, could use some help with ID on these.

Name:	154.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	237900Click image for larger version

Name:	155.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	237901

Comment

Thanks for sharing these with us. Jess is going to love discussing them with you.
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Wow Those are awesome. Not everyone can say they have that out back.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Well you are correct in that the first pics are indeed a species of cephalopod.
            I am not that familiar with the truly ancient materials (Devonian,Ordovician) but I can tell that there are no crinoids in these pics.
            These are more likely to be Bryzoans, a species closely related to corals.
            The last ones are more likely to be geologic.

I am more of a Cretaceous collector than anything.
            If you are so inclined to do so, there is a web site devoted to fossils and there are some there who specialize in the Devonian material.
            You may wish to persue this avenue if you want to know more about these backyard specimens.
            The Fossil Forum is my go to. There you have the eye of pros and amatures such as myself that offer their collective knowledge to the world.
            Here on Arrowheads.com our expertise is channeled in artefacts of the indigenous peoples.
            Yes there is a fossil link here and yes we do what we can, but sometimes it is just a WAG.

Have a good night.
            Jess B.
            It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
            It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
            Circa:1982

Comment

• rock ON.
              rock ON. commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the help with identification I will definitely check out the fossil forum.

Fantastic. Those are indeed cephalopods of a type known as orthocone nautiloids. Jesse is correct about the absence of crinoids… the structures in the second group of pictures are fan bryozoans which are colonial animals that grow in plant-like forms.

I’m not sure about the third group, but I suspect those are stromatolites, exhibiting seasonal growth bands from films and mats of microbes (usually cyanobacteria) growing in warm shallow water.

I assume you are somewhere in the vicinity of Kingston, in which case the fossil-bearing rocks in your area will, as you say, be mid-Ordovician and mainly represented by the Gull River Formation and the Verulam Formation.
            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• rock ON.
              rock ON. commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the info and yes I am northwest of Kingston in the Madoc area which used to be a fluorite and talc mining town.

Those fossils are awesome! Thanks for sharing them!
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Originally posted by painshill View Post
              Fantastic. Those are indeed cephalopods of a type known as orthocone nautiloids. Jesse is correct about the absence of crinoids… the structures in the second group of pictures are fan bryozoans which are colonial animals that grow in plant-like forms.

I’m not sure about the third group, but I suspect those are stromatolites, exhibiting seasonal growth bands from films and mats of microbes (usually cyanobacteria) growing in warm shallow water.

I assume you are somewhere in the vicinity of Kingston, in which case the fossil-bearing rocks in your area will, as you say, be mid-Ordovician and mainly represented by the Gull River Formation and the Verulam Formation.
              (Stromatolites) that's what I could not think of.
              Thanks Roger, I have been having so many brain fart episodes lately.
              Jessy
              It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
              It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
              Circa:1982

Comment

That's just awesome. Right there in your backyard.

Comment

• rock ON.
                  rock ON. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We actually have 25 acres of yard, those at the very back of our property where we deer hunt.
              Working...
              X