Fossil leaf I purchased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fossil leaf I purchased

Well Coach inspired me to buy a rock on eBay. I hope it's real. Don't know much about fossils other than I will never find the ones I truly want. Have a couple more to get but it's pricey. This is a Carpinus Grandis from the Miocene. Hoping to get some information on it like what it evolved in to today. From Poland. I plan on purchasing a fern fossil and a nice trilobite as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1101.PNG
Views:	198
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	239704
    Montani Semper Liberi

Thats one cool fossil!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Hey Mike, That is a beautiful leaf fossil. Mike is that another fossil in the lower right near the back?
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Ron I'm not sure. Will let you know when it is in hand
        Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Wow nice looking fossil. Thanks for showing us.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Glad to be inspiring ha. That is a very neat fossil.

Comment

• lukecreekwalker
              lukecreekwalker commented
              Editing a comment
              Next time make it something free. I had to explain to my wife that I bought a rock from Poland today lol

• CoachG
              CoachG commented
              Editing a comment
              I hope that went over well. Try selling something of hers to cover the expense if you really want to upset her ha.

• lukecreekwalker
              Editing a comment
              Not sure which pile of shoes I will start with first lol

That is so crisp and clear Mike the experts here should have no difficulty pointing you in the right direction.
            Bruce
            In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Very handsome! How big is this rock?
              Child of the tides

Comment

• lukecreekwalker
                Editing a comment
                Not very big. Haven't received it yet but it says the fossil is about 3 inches long

That’s a nice crisply detailed specimen. Carpinus grandis was originally classified by Unger in the 1800s and is part of the Betulaceae (Birch) family which includes birches, alders, hazels and hornbeams. Carpinus is a hornbeam.

Betulaceae is one of the most difficult families to differentiate by genus based on fossil leaf morphology alone and relies on a combination of comparisons to modern species, association with fossil “fruits” and microscopic examination of cuticles in fossil leaves where the preservation is complete. The taxonomy has been revised a number of times by various researchers and I believe the most recent assignation is “Carpinus grandis Unger emend. Heer” (where “emend” means “revised by”). As an assignation, it’s currently regarded as a “collective” that includes several morphotypes of fossil leaves rather than definitively a single species (Mai & Walther 1978, 1988, Hummel 1991, Zastawniak & Walther 1998).

These trees would probably have looked pretty similar to the modern hornbeam Carpinus betulus:

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• lukecreekwalker
                Editing a comment
                I was going to say it looked like a beech tree leaf. That's pretty cool stuff. Never heard of a hornbeam before so I will check your link out. Very much appreciated Painshill.
            Working...
            X