Dino tooth??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dino tooth??

found while gold panning today in a creek along with a few crinoids. It looks like a tooth or claw? Southwest Michigan

Nope, not a Dino tooth. Pretty sure that's a piece of Horn coral. Here's a link.
    Horn coral, any coral of the order Rugosa, which first appeared in the geologic record during the Ordovician Period, which began 488 million years ago; the Rugosa persisted through the Permian Period, which ended 251 million years ago. Horn corals, which are named for the hornlike shape of the

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Thank you for the link and info! Another thing learned

Comment

Yah dassit....

One of many species of Rugosa type corals.

Whoa wait a minute panning for gold in Michigan?
        Ever find any? If so it would have to be float in from glacial drop.
        Last edited by Bone2stone; 04-10-2017, 03:03 AM.
        It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
        It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
        Circa:1982

Comment

Cool fossil, wait, there is gold around here?
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Just a very short history lesson. There are several gold mines in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The Rope's mine was the most productive but even the Rope's mine didn't produce much. There is recreational panning throughout Michigan and you might find this link interesting.
            Gold can be found throughout Michigan. In addition to glacial deposits, there are also some known lode deposits that are found here. Lode discoveries have been made across the state, but most have been very low-grade, and gold production has been a byproduct of other mineral extraction efforts. Most placer gold found throughout Michigan is …

Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Better look out Kshoemaker, you'll start another California Gold Rush right there in Michigan!!!
              Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I have the same thing. My hopes and dreams for a claw, tooth, or horn are shattered now too lol.
                پححعظ شاهبيل

Comment

Working...
                X