Stuff Keeps Washing Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuff Keeps Washing Up

I just finished an artifact post which was the first I had made in quite sometime. During my drive about on the mountain, I came across a 17 lb rock sticking up that had an impression on it. Now I've got a fossil to post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TreeFossil.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	252152

I know it's a plant but it's like none of the others I've found up here. I've been searching the internet to see what I could find but nothing so far. Anyone have any ideas. By the by - the rock is sandstone so I'd think that some of this impression is worn down.
    Attached Files
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Not sure either but I will love to read what it is because I found something I found a hunk of the same a few years back
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

Interesting piece. Looks to be sedimentary rock that has had some wave activity cause those ripples. Have a look at this page although not exactly like your some of the stones shown were formed by wave activity. http://www.indiana.edu/~geol105/imag...structures.htm
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hoss - that was a very interesting and informative reference. I do have some of the wave action fossils here on the mountain but I think this is more of a plant impression. Then again - I'm wrong about as often as I'm right so - stay tuned and we'll see.

Cool find Chuck. It looks like a plant fossil of some type...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Baba. I think you're right, I just can't find anything to match it.

Chuck it may be a good time to take your granddaughter out and let her pic up another dovetail, lol. Bound to be a trophy point out somewhere with that much rain.

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Have a good laugh kurt. Actually I'm gonna do exactly that cause I'd rather have her find a fabulous point than to have me miss it. But her Dovetail still stands as the hallmark for points on THIS mountain.

• p kurt
        p kurt commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope she finds a trophy point again. I just remember your post when she found that dovetail. Her trailing behind and all. It was one of those posts that just stick with ya, a great story about a find.

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Have to agree with ya Kurt. I remember how astounded I was and how absolutely excited Lilly was. I don't think we'll have that same excitement again but she does get really animated when she finds anything close to looking like an arrowhead.

We gotta get some more fossil people back on this site. Roger was a plethora of information. Alas he is enjoying his retirement and traveling more often with his family. Perhaps Jess will see this and chime in.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Finding fossils is as much fun as finding points in my neck of the woods. Nice find.
        Child of the tides

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
          We gotta get some more fossil people back on this site. Roger was a plethora of information. Alas he is enjoying his retirement and traveling more often with his family. Perhaps Jess will see this and chime in.
          Roger did sorta drop out of the sites I knew him from.

Sorry not much help on this one.
          I am more of a fauna type collector.
          Flora is beyond most of my collecting.
          But from what I can tell it appears to be a broad leaf type of impression.
          Sand stone rarely gives up much as far as flora fossils.

Jess B.
          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
          Circa:1982

Comment

Thanks for looking and commenting Jess. Most of the stuff we have around here is sand stone and lime rock - so the impression quality if not so good.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Working...
            X