My First Meg!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Meg!!!!!

I recently took a trip to Brownies beach at the Calvert Cliffs Maryland where I found 130 sharks teeth today one of which I believe to be a juvenile, posterior megalodon tooth. It is, I'm sure, as small as they come. Have any of you found any tiny megs?
    If both artifact and hunter lie idle, they will not meet.

Also, sorry I haven't been on in a while, I have just settled into college!

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Good for you. What are you studying?

• eannis6
      eannis6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Bruce! I'm studying criminal justice!

That's really tiny. Could it be a microdon?😇

Just kidding...how do you know it's a megaladon vs. regular shark? I'm asking because I have no idea....I just always assumed megaldon meant the teeth would be yuge!
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• eannis6
      eannis6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha! That's funny! I assumed the same thing! However, the shape of the tooth lends itself to megalodon. It certainly is a micromegalodon

• eannis6
      eannis6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Jethro, it's officially a meg! I had a Calvert county fossil museum worker confirm it!

That's a great answer. See, you've taught me something today, so going back to college was a worthy venture after all!!
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

nice find

but im not sure thats a meg tooth,but i am no expert on such matters

i do have a juvenile meg tooth,its about 2 1/2 inches long.just a small one as some can be 5 times that size

no matter what it is,its still a nice find
      i love sharks teeth

Comment

• eannis6
        eannis6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks sneakygroundbuzzard! I believe that the 2.5 inch small one you had was a juvenile anterior tooth but I could be wrong. The explanation for this tooths size would be it being located towards the back of the mouth as posterior

• eannis6
        eannis6 commented
        Editing a comment
        I love finding sharks teeth! Also, check your little ones because I had this one confirmed as belonging to a megalodon by a Calvert county fossil museum worker! I was unsure until tonight! Who knew they could be this small?

Cool tooth but I don't think its Megladon. Much to small. I'd love to find any myself meg or not...
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• eannis6
        eannis6 commented
        Editing a comment
        It's definitely WAY too small to be an anterior or lateral of even a baby megalodon, but I'm thinking maybe it's a posterior or even further back? Someone said It looked like a juvenile posterior meg and I have to agree, hopefully it's not just wishful thinking:/ haha!
        Last edited by eannis6; 09-30-2017, 11:13 PM.

If you all are interested, check out the fossil forums thread for smallest megalodon teeth....they have found some tiny ones!

Comment

This is an illustration showing how small the back teeth can be on an adult shark, let alone an infant!

Comment

• Kyflintguy
          Kyflintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! Never would have thought that...

Eannis, I'll be right there. Been wanting to find an Ecphora for most of my life. Calvert Cliffs is like a wonderful dream to me!
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

• eannis6
          eannis6 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's awesome! Brownies beach aka bayfront park has plenty of ecphora fragments! Most are small, but still very neat! This one I found on the southern part of the beach past the cliff. I hope you find one!

I'll be right there too......Wait....that's probably a two thousand mile drive. On second thought, I'll just look at what you guys find.

I did find a sharks tooth out here in SD on a river bank a couple of years ago. I posted it here. Sharks in SD. Now that's something kind of hard to wrap your mind around.
        South Dakota

Comment

• eannis6
          eannis6 commented
          Editing a comment
          How neat! That blows ones mind!

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ever hear of "Sharknado!!!"??

It's for real, yo!!!

• eannis6
          eannis6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha! That is perfect Jethro XD

Well congrats! I've found plenty of tiny shark teeth along the Rappahannock River but none like that. The Calvert Cliffs are indeed awesome.
        Child of the tides

Comment

• eannis6
          eannis6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks so much havenhunter! They were absolutely beautiful.

You guys find some very interesting finds on that N East coast down to Fl . I love looking at all your posts and comments .
        forever learning

Comment

Working...
        X