Trilobite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trilobite

Down in the creeks today avoiding any hunting areas. No flint to be found but the fossils were everywhere. I walked right up on this trilobite as soon as I hit the gravel.
    fldwlkr
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0678 (640x470).jpg
Views:	201
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	276955
    Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

That's cool !!!! Non of them around here sad to report but if they were in would collect them to !!! Awesome find
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

• searchinghawk
      searchinghawk commented
      Editing a comment
      what part of country can ya find a trilobite fossil in creek? its incredible..favorite fossil for sure

Wow! No point but an awesome keeper! Now I have a new "Want One"! On my list of covets. Congrats on a terrific find!
    Child of the tides

Comment

Outstanding fossil there...complete...I have a few partials but nothing like that. Frame worthy there...all the way...killer find!!!
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Yeah what G10 said "Cool!"
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks guys, I was happy to find anything today. It has a nick in the upper right hand corner, but still nice. Goes well with the curled up one I have from the same a watershed. They are typically hard to find, but I walked right up on this one. Guess I was sneaky and caught it sleeping
          fldwlkr

Comment

Congrat's, very cool!
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Great fossil.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Calymene Celebra.
                These are often confused with Flexicalymene.
                Take a close look at the enrolled one and post it too. The Flexi species are most often found rolled up.
                Major difference is the lack of the robust cheek plates as is seen on the flexi species.

Congrats on finding one not only near complete but near cleaned/prepped out.
                It takes hours to get the ones we find around here clean.
                Good ones are hard to come by unless you buy them at shows rock shops or on line.Jess B
                It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                Circa:1982

Comment

Bone2Stone thanks for the information. I let the creeks do the work for me as far as cleaning fossils. I was really out recovering some chrome off a '57 chevy carcass that is down in a ravine when I found the Calymene Celebra. The curled up specimen was found while searching a confluence for chert. I often find the neatest things while out searching for something else.
                  Good Luck out there, fldwlkr

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	278106
                  Last edited by fldwlkr; 12-26-2017, 03:49 PM.

Comment

That sure is a nice one!
                    South Dakota

Comment

OM Goodness! next to a good artifact, there's nothing better than a complete trilobite!!
                      http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

SearchingHawk, Ohio is a great place for Ordovician fossils. I don't bother picking up all the horn coral, bryozoa, and brachiopods anymore. We have some creeks that are littered with them.
                        fldwlkr

Comment

Fldwlkr, OH MY! Don't let those fossils lay there behind! They're not worth much, but I'd buy a box full of them. Give you some artifact money! To B2S, I think you know your trilobites! Here's one I found at the Swatara Gap Locality. A rare cryptolithus. Some guy, many years ago, was actually cutting small sections from a stick of dynamite and was blowing out the strata looking for trilobites and starfish. He ended up under mining an interstate highway, Route 81! He got caught, arrested, and the state closed the locality down and filled it in with gravel. That was only one of about three places in Pa. where you could find cryptolithus and starfish on the same rock plate.

Name:	DSC07507.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	278184
                          http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

pkrey, Cool find there. Since it's 2 degrees out, I'll bore you with more rocks. I gave a large collection to our science department when I retired from teaching. I was the art teacher and had more rocks than the new science guy, so I gave him all my fossils. This bunch is some of what has followed me home since retirement. If it is a better specimen I bring it home, otherwise I would have to take a bucket with me. A lot of the bryozoa and crinoids came off the side of the road near Cincinnati. Guess I should get a case and display some of these as they are sitting in a box at the moment.
                            Keep warm, fldwlkr

Name:	DSC_0715 (640x383).jpg
Views:	210
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	278188

Name:	DSC_0719 (640x605).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	278189

Comment

• pkfrey
                              pkfrey commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That's an excellent group of fossils. Horn coral, trilobites ( full and rolled ) , bryozoa, brachiopods, crinoids. Those would make an excellent display in a case. I would intentionally be looking at that site for the best examples. The brachiopods and pelecyopods are eroding out complete without matrix, that's pretty cool! You may have known, but if not, those horn corals are attached to the ancient sea floor by the narrow cone part at the end. Even if you don't display those, no sense leaving them behind when you see them! Thx for sharing!!
                          Working...
                          X