WV fossils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WV fossils

Found these while looking for pointy human rocks over the last few years. Any idea what they could be? I put water on the last one to make it more visible. Assuming it’s some sort of coral but I have no clue. Found in WV

thanks for any input...assuming they are older than woodland haha
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_38904.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	289447 Click image for larger version

Name:	F6831A9F-09C3-4532-8C0A-5E31ECF16F17.jpeg
Views:	346
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	289452
    Last edited by lukecreekwalker; 03-05-2018, 10:30 PM.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Hey Luke. The one in the first pic on top looks like it has a wood grain or some type of plant impression. Then that other shell fossil looks very familiar. I have no idea what to call them but my area has a real lot of limestone in it and I have seen that very shell looking thing on many pieces of limestone in my travels. One of our guys here...not sure who...I think a KY dude is pretty sharp on the fossils...cool rocks bro!!!
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Thanks Baba...I’ve seen that fossil in gravel driveways growing up too. I hope someone here will know what I got.
      Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Beautiful whatever they are, especially the last! Thanks for sharing!
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I have been reading about the ice age , water receding and coming back . Limestone in the areas and sea levels .Corals being in the area of Geirgia and possibly your area . With all that and what they have been showing on agatized coral patterns here I am going to say that last one is coral of some sort .fossilized but it’s just a guess.

Comment

That second one looks like fossilized coral. Google 'Petoskey Stone'. They are very abundant in areas of northwestern Michigan. It's a fossilized coral from back when the Great Lakes was part of an inland sea. It looks to me that yours is similar to that type of occurrence.
            Winters in Arizona, summers in Michigan's UP. What could be better?

Comment

That coral? rock is awesome. Might be Cnidarian..... like the end of horn corals.
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

Originally posted by tomclark View Post
                That coral? rock is awesome. Might be Cnidarian..... like the end of horn corals.
                I learned from Tom and Chase 💪mission acopliahed

Comment

Working...
                X