Old bones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old bones?

I have never found any artifacts at the local creek I walk, but I do find quite a few bones and what might be a bison horn core. Is there any way to estimate the age of a bone?
    Kevin - North/Central Texas

I am not sure myself I am weak in the fossil bone department. Maybe Jess will pop in and see your post.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hey CTex - A lot about bones, their aging and condition depend sooo much on where they spent the past eons of time. If it's in a high and dry place they don't deteriorate quite so bad but out in the ground, subjected to all the elements it's way fast. I've always thought that the darker the bone, the older it was but that doesn't always apply. Like Hoss says, Jess will probably know. I think it's a real interesting post and will check back to see what turns up. Got my curiosity up now.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Yeah I also cant say just what they are other than bones. It would be real cool if they are bison bones. I know that at one time in your area the bison herd was among the biggest in North America so there is a good chance they might be but Texas has had a lot of cattle ranching for a long time also. Hopefully someone can nail it down for you...
        The chase is better than the catch...
        I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

The flat piece middle top is turtle/toroise and I think the "bent" bone in the middle is also turtle/tortoise. There are two that are either ankle bones or are the ends of long bones that look like mammal.
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

Thanks Tom, I don't know why, but I hadn't considered turtle as an option, despite almost stepping on this one on a recent trip.

There is a very real possibility that the larger ones are from cattle. The area currently doesn't have much cattle, but I'm sure there were plenty of cattle there in the past.
            Kevin - North/Central Texas

Comment

Albeit none of the items/specimens you picked are fossils they are none the less interesting.
              This shows the diversity of material one can find.
              The most interesting specimen I think is the horn core.
              Not sure if bovid or bison.
              I don't see evidence that these were butcher shop discards but that too can explain some boney material people find from time to time.
              It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
              It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
              Circa:1982

Comment

Working...
              X