Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Identify Petrified Wood from Indiana...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Identify Petrified Wood from Indiana...

Need some help with this, pretty sure it was wood. Extremely heavy almost 43 lbs and maybe 10 inch by 6 inch by 10 inch. Scoured the internet until my eyes hurt. Just short of taking it to some professionals. Thanks for your time.

I am not seeing any signs of wood myself but the surface texture in the first and last pictures is very interesting.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Hey JV - The first and last pic have a kinda "barky" look to them but, like Bruce, I'm not seeing anything else that looks like wood. Course I'm no expert and we have members on here who are - so let's wait and see what others have to say.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Thanks for looking gentlemen, I would prefer it to be a meteorite...

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          So would we all.

Not fossil wood not meteorite.
        Most likely scenario is a form of hematite which is an iron compound that does not register with a metal detector.
        Last edited by Bone2stone; 03-27-2018, 03:14 AM.
        It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
        It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
        Circa:1982

Comment

Thank you for looking, I am still kind of hanging on to the possibility that it is wood.Hopes and dreams... your explanation seems fitting though with not another piece of wood out on the web like it. There were a few similarities but nothing defined. Have a few pics of some smaller quarry I happened upon near Livingstone, MT. Thanks again Gentlemen.

Comment

Working...
          X