Euchee Creek Trilobite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euchee Creek Trilobite

Went deep yesterday/last night (both on foot and in water) and found what I believe is a trilobite on a rectangle of shale-like sandstone.
    I've never found one of these little boogers before and it took the edge off my brain about coming up mostly empty handed (with the exception of another find I'll post later).
    After looking around a bit the closest match to it I can find (for now) is Huntonia huntonensis Oklahoma.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated as I know some of you guys here are very fond of these particular bugs.

Huntonia huntonensis Oklahoma Trilobite (Lower Devonian)
    It's not a projectile point but it's better than nothing! )
    ~Noah

Noah, not sure if that's a trilobite or a trace fossil, such as a trackway or nest, of a trilobite.
    Here's a page on trilobite trace fossils:

I could certainly be wrong and if so, Bone2stone or painshill will certainly have the answer.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Nesting trackway most likely.
      Nice trace definately worth looking for the source of it.
      If you find trace stuff the real deal can't be far away.
      Bone2stone
      It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
      It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
      Circa:1982

Comment

Bug tracks! Cool. :laugh:

Comment

It’s way too deep and well-defined to be a trackway (known as a “cruziana”) in the way most people understand it. A lighter touch would be more typical:

I’m sure it is exactly what Jessy says… a nesting trackway… where we are seeing deeper marks in the mud arising from the animal propelling itself out of its resting burrow (not a nest as such, just somewhere to rest up). That’s the only time you find such marks which are as deep as that. Nice example. Here’s another, with a little drawing that should give you the idea:

It would be a brave palaeontologist that gave you a species.
          Roger
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

painshill wrote:

It’s way too deep and well-defined to be a trackway (known as a “cruziana”) in the way most people understand it. A lighter touch would be more typical:

I’m sure it is exactly what Jessy says… a nesting trackway… where we are seeing deeper marks in the mud arising from the animal propelling itself out of its resting burrow (not a nest as such, just somewhere to rest up). That’s the only time you find such marks which are as deep as that. Nice example. Here’s another, with a little drawing that should give you the idea:

It would be a brave palaeontologist that gave you a species.
            Roger
            Roger,
            As usual your explanition is exemplary.
            And that example is just on the mark "tracks" indeed.
            The "Nesting" spot may have been a hiding place where they lay in wait, assuming they were predatory.
            Bone2stone
            It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
            It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
            Circa:1982

Comment

The other side has something coming out as well.
              Took a few contrasted pictures for better definition.
              ~Noah

Comment

Working...
              X