What did I find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I find?

I was actually looking for some Indian artifacts yesterday, and while I didn't find any of those, I did find something just as cool. When I found this rock, I noticed that it had a peculiar, round shaped piece that to me, looked like a short tootsie roll. I thought that it was odd enough looking for me to carry it on my two hour walk. When I got it back home and washed it off, I was amazed to find that it looked like a bone of some sort. I asked my friend about it, and he said that it looked like a knuckle of some sort from a finger/toe. From what, he had no clue. When I examined it later, I realized that the depression in front of the bone was the spot where the first part of the toe was, and just in front of that was the impression from a claw. At least that's my 'professional' opinion. What do you folks think? I would love to find out what it is from, and if I'm right about what I believe that it is. The 'toe' bone is about 3/4" long. If you have any ideas, or just a comment in general, please feel free to put in your $.02 worth. Thanks for looking Click image for larger version

Name:	wy2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	299224 Click image for larger version

Name:	wy3.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	299225 Click image for larger version

Name:	wy1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	299226
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hoss; 05-07-2018, 09:55 PM.

Small chrinoid stem fossil imbedded in a hunk of limestone . Cool find congrats
    Last edited by Hoss; 05-07-2018, 09:54 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hoss , how do you even know this ??? It rolls off your tongue
      like nothing ... had to goggle it ...
      very cool find

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow thank you but, I do not know that much about fossils at all Tam. in the second picture saw three small lines that look as if they are going around the structure i assumed crnoid stem. Look at what Jess worte below i may have been mistaken. i have learned a lot from Jess and others on Arrowheads.com about fossils. But I am no expert.

I don't see bone. I do see what is left of what was an ammonite.
      Septa and siphicule and collapsed housing chamber visible.
      If we could get an idea of the age of the area it was found we may be able to narrow it down and confirm our identification.
      Crinoid material is old in the extreme and found in deposit across the world.
      Whereas the ammonite did not make its appearance in the geo record tilll much later. Cephaopods yes but true ammonite came much later.
      So do you know how old the area where you found this specimen is?
      Get back if you have any answers.

Jess B.
      It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
      It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
      Circa:1982

Comment

Originally posted by Bone2stone View Post
        I don't see bone. I do see what is left of what was an ammonite.
        Septa and siphicule and collapsed housing chamber visible.
        If we could get an idea of the age of the area it was found we may be able to narrow it down and confirm our identification.
        Crinoid material is old in the extreme and found in deposit across the world.
        Whereas the ammonite did not make its appearance in the geo record tilll much later. Cephaopods yes but true ammonite came much later.
        So do you know how old the area where you found this specimen is?
        Get back if you have any answers.

Jess B.
        Thanks for the info, but I wouldn't have the slightest idea how I would find the age of the area that I found it in. About all I can tell you is that I found this rock while walking my friends land in southeast Wisconsin, along the edge of a pond. It's a cool looking rock that I can add to my growing collection of 'interesting rocks'. I work in the construction field, where a lot of times I am around areas that are being excavated for different projects (buildings, road construction, etc.), and I have recently found myself searching the ground/rocks for cool/unusual looking things. It also helps me pass the time when I have some free time on the site.

Comment

Well mucktown location is very valuable info
          I think I can narrow your find down a little more.
          The area you picked this is old in the extreme.
          Wisconsin would place it in the pre dinosaur age bracket.
          I would venture to say that your specimen is a goniotite which is related to an ammonite only to the extent that both were cephalopods. Which is distantly related to the modern Nautilus.
          It being such a small portion that is about as much as I can tell you.
          Keep finding keep ppsting.

Jess B
          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
          Circa:1982

Comment

Working...
          X