Tourists Toss Dinosaur Tracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourists Toss Dinosaur Tracks

Well, here's an odd problem. At Red Fleet State Park in Utah, tourists, apparently enjoying seeing big rocks making big splashes, are inadvertently tossing the very fossil dinosaur tracks that the park is known for, into a lake. Seems like it's probably mostly kids.

Most of the vandalism has been at the hands of children who want to "make a big splash", officials say.

Red Fleet State Park, Vernal, Utah. 2,576 likes · 35 talking about this · 3,020 were here. Hike to 200 million year old dinosaur tracks, boat and fish on Red Fleet Reservoir, and camp or picnic in a...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0608.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	300387

Attached Files
    Rhode Island

Kids these days..
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Vandalism is rampant everywhere these days Charlie. I find this one difficult to call typical vandalism as was pointed out. The disturbing thing for me is that the youths are allowed to run around sensitive areas with no supervision.
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

They put in picnic tables, walkways, bbq grills, bathrooms and put in durn Frisbee Golf, parking lots and boat ramps on top of shell mounds here. Plus, they mow the heck out these mounds, ringing trees and eroding them out. "legal vandalism"
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

I've seen similar behavior on NC's Outer Banks. On the dunes where signs clearly state "Stay Off the Dunes" in order to protect the sea oats, show trodden paths as shortcuts to the beach. Folks dig up the sea oats to take home or kids pick them to flail one another with. I watched one family or tire a ghost crab just for fun, while bike riders rode down a boardwalk with signs that said "No Bikes". It appears fashionable to disregard posted or protected areas & then brag about it on social media.
          On the OBX we call these folks "tourons"-- tourist+moron. They are the first to complain when the Patk Service closes off long stretches of the National Seashore because the turtles or birds are nesting & they just can't leave well enough alone.
          Child of the tides

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            I call them "MEME's" They think of nothing other than themselves.
            MINE MINE MINE. ME ME ME is their motto.
            I can pretty well guarantee you that they are also NIMBYs. NOT IN MY BACK YARDers.
        Working...
        X