No announcement yet.

Anyone collect fossilized Sharks Teeth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone collect fossilized Sharks Teeth?

Anyone collect fossilized sharks teeth? I'm wanting to start a variety frame and I'd like to put a decent Megaladon tooth on the middle. My question is are people faking these or modernly altering them like with arrowheads? If so what do I need to look for so I don't get burnt? Thanks for anyones help!
    Keith

Hi Keith,
        I collect shark's teeth, most from here in NC from the Lee Creek phosphate deposits on the coast. There are casts of teeth available which are usually much lighter (and softer feeling) than real teeth. Most folks can tell the difference. More importantly, nice meg teeth are often restored. Like arrowheads, every little loss is a deduction. Commonly the burlette or serrations will be restored if broken, and this can be very hard to spot. Also, a lot of teeth that are marginally collectable are buffed and polished to make them look better. A 6" Meg tooth in perfect condition may be worth $500, with burlette or serration damage maybe $200-300. The big polished teeth sell for $50-75. Perfection is everything.
       Maybe we can work a deal or trade on a big Meg- shoot me an email, Keith.
    Cliff

Comment

My knowledge on shark teeth is minimal, but recently I have been bartering with an old timer in my area that has a frame of them he collected when he was a kid, (he is now 70) and I am trying to get one off of him for my own frame, he is pretty adament that I should have them all. As far as fakes I am sure some swipe has figured out a way to pipe folks, they always seem to.

Comment

Hey Keith..Cliffs sharks teeth are gonna be quite impressive but wanted to let you know i have an abundance of freshwater shark teeth from the time of the permian.Orthocanthus and xenacanthus..I also have an abundance of cretaceous shark teeth from the time of the dinosaurs. jon

Comment

There's so many fossil shark's teeth in my area from beaches to rivers.  Bone Valley, etc. Miocene/Pliocene (Pleistocene).  I don't pick them up unless they are exceptional.  Bet those freshwater shark and other Permians are sweet. Post some pics of them pls. boom.
          Cliff, you got'em Ecphora??????
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

Check it out..wont find one this size on ebay..This is a Orthocanthus freshwater shark tooth from oklahomas Permian up to 400 million years old(myo)..i collected myself.Rare?..cant explain man.

Comment

How large are these fresh water sharks teeth? Can't say I collect them, but did find one a couple months ago while walking a gravel bar. This one is not very big, maybe one inch tall and dark gray in color. Don't know much about them. Been told Kansas was ocean front property at one time. Will post pic. later.

Comment

Very cool..they are normally micro sized..but the one i have put a picture up is truly a giant..wouldnt mind seeing yours..I suspect its from the miocene and probably not permian..

Comment

I have promised couple of pics. on other posts, I will try to get it done tonight.Thanks!

Comment

Hi jon, here is my sharks tooth. Like I said don't know much about them and don't understand the names u put with them. Would like to know more thanks joe!

Comment

Sorry jon will not let me load pic. will try later supper time.

Comment

Comment

Here's a pic of one my husbands Megalodon teeth.

Comment

No problem Joe oh! cliff is very knowlegable also..So dont give up..

Comment

wow? nice size..little feeding wear from chewing another creatures bones..on the length the shark was 10 ft per inch of tooth so a four inch tooth reveals a 40 ft shark,,,,whoa!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X