What kind of tooth did I find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of tooth did I find?

This tooth (?) was found at Seaside Beach about 10 miles north of Fort Bragg, CA. Can anyone help identify?

Look's like Cow or Bison, not 100% on that though. Neat Find!
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

That is from a horse. I stumbled onto a horse skull last year, and that would be a tooth from the back of the jaw.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

According to Jesse (Bone2stone, that stylid in the 2nd pic identifies it as a cow or bison. It looks too white to be bison so I'd lean toward cow.
        https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...or-bison-tooth.

I couldn't get the link to post so I just copied his post to this window.
        07-04-2017, 03:34 AM

Well tried to rely but something went a little haywire!!!
        Could be a thunderstorm rolling over me as I type.
        Although the link I provided (below) takes you to the right site it does not take you to the read I attempted to link up.
        There are some very good know their stuff people on this other site that deals with fossils regularly.
        I learn from them all the time even Roger was on that site but he faded away from there too.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_29045_LI.jpg Views:	1 Size:	412.4 KB ID:	254748

Your tooth is most likely a Bison. The stylid which I circled is one of the most distinguishing characteristics, but this is not always the case.
        Young cattle can have the stylid but it is usually weak and lose the cementum and thus will lose the stylid as they mature.
        Jess B.

Sorry, we could not find that!
        The worldwide community of fossil collectors, enthusiasts and paleontologists sharing their knowledge about fossils. Meet new friends with old interests.

Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Color does not necessarily define age. Bleached bison. Stylid is very profound on this specimen.
          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
          Circa:1982

Comment

Working...
          X