Petrified Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrified Tree

I found this petrified tree sticking out of the bank on the Grand River in western South Dakota. It was something to see that, after only finding pieces of petrified wood. There must actually be two trees there, or maybe just one with two large branches.
    There were pieces that had broken off and were down by the river. I carried one back that I could lift. I had a mile to walk, so it couldn't be too big. I also included a picture
    of another tree sticking out of the cliff.

The valley and river, with cliffs to left where the tree is.

The Grand River
    South Dakota

A friend of mine that ranches out in this country,gave me this
    hammer that he  found  right on top of the cliff overlooking the Grand,
    that I pictured above.  That was why I was out there looking.
    Unfortunately I didn't find something this nice.  I've read about
    rocks like this that have the ring closer to one end.  It said that
    this was most likely hand held and just used one end for pounding etc.
    There is only one end that shows wearing.  The other is nice and smooth.
    Also, its kind of a neat rock for a hammer.  Definitely picked out of the
    river to use.  It's kind of egg shaped and thinner. 
    Gary

South Dakota

Comment

Great pictures Gary got any trout in that river?
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

The distal end of this hammer is definitely flatter than the picture
        seems to show.  It did quite a bit of pounding something
        South Dakota

Comment

That hammer is really nice, I would be looking too. I would be willing to betcha that tree is a sweetgum we got them here in NC. I'm convinced you can't get rid of them. Just kidding.....Finding a chunk of petrified wood would be neat, the whole tree awesome !

Comment

Hoss,  No trout in this river.  I don't think it runs cold enough for them
            At least I don't believe so.  Maybe I better make sure next time.
            Gary
            South Dakota

Comment

Thanks Butch
              It was exciting.  We've had so much rain this year,  that the river
              ran overfull,  and caused lots of erosion.  Good for archeology!
              Gary
              South Dakota

Comment

Gary,
                Dick from Plains Lithics told me generally speaking, in the Great Plains Region most large mauls were used by late prehistoric semi-sedentary hunters-farmers, such as Mandan, Pawnee, Oto, Ponca, Dismal River focus, and others. These people were very dependent on bison for meat and by-products of the bison. They would go out on large-scale bison hunts least twice a year. Some of the very important by-products included hides and marrow from the large long bones. The bones marrow was used as a highly nutritious food product. The hides were tanned and one of the tanning ingredients was the brain from bison. Fresh bison bones and skulls are very tough, thick walled and most difficult to break without the use of these mauls. I assume they also used the same mauls to drive stakes in the prairie to stretch and dry the hides.
                  This Monster Maul is 6 ½”L x 4 ½”W – Granite – Paleo forward – Found near the Mississippi River, Brule Co., South Dakota

Jack

Comment

Interesting info Jack and great looking artifact!!
                  Gary, those pictures are just awesome, they make me want to see that part of the country as I've never been there.....looks like a great place to snoop around!!
                  Southern Connecticut

Comment

I agree with Jack, your piece is a maul and a very nice one. I love the other shots as well! Pet wood is a real interest to me.
                    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Those are great pics of the fossil tree trunks and wonderful countryside for sure. I agree your hammer is a maul. We call them full groove mauls around here and I would assume with the groove that it was a hafted tool and not hand held. JMO.
                      Rhode Island

Comment

If you are finding Pet Wood then the possibility of dino material is in the area as well.
                        Keep a sharp eye out for gastroliths in the immediate area.
                        If you find those then bones are just a matter of time and patience.
                        Nice hammer......The ones we find here in my part of Tex are hand held and not grooved as yours is.
                        Bone2stone
                        It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                        It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                        Circa:1982

Comment

SDhunter wrote:

I found this petrified tree sticking out of the bank on the Grand River in western South Dakota. I also included a picture of another tree sticking out of the cliff.
                            Great pics! I love those western High Plains photos SDHunter and the insitu petrified wood is a cool find.
                          On that landscape I would be checking every cutbank I saw as well as checking all of the cutbanks of deeply eroded gullies/arroyos leading into the Grand River drainage.
                          11KBP

Comment

What an awesome place! I'd have made the wife carry them there tree-trunks home. Well, as far as the SUV anyway. :laugh:
                            Roger
                            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

greywolf22 wrote:

Some of the very important by-products included hides and marrow from the large long bones. The bones marrow was used as a highly nutritious food product. The hides were tanned and one of the tanning ingredients was the brain from bison. Fresh bison bones and skulls are very tough, thick walled and most difficult to break without the use of these mauls.Jack
                              11KBP

Attachment Mauls1.JPG not found

Attachment Insitu85sf_2011-12-07.jpg not found

Comment

Working...
                              X