Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found these animal remains in the woods today. Equine or bovine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found these animal remains in the woods today. Equine or bovine?

Thinking it was a horse but I'm not good with these things.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Cow. Bump on the back of the skull and no "ridge" back there. Horse no bump and pronounced ridge along the back of the skull in that same area.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Tom. I should know these things, I've been around farms and livestock quite a bit in my life. I guess I was just going off the width of the skull and jaw, it seemed slender for a cow. I probably should have thought it out a little more.
      I was sure watching my back after I found the bones. I've seen cougar around here and I'm pretty positive this animal died of predation.

I have a horse skull that I found this Feb. I'll have to find it.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

One other thing to remember if you have a skull. Cattle don’t have incisors on the top. Horses do, which you find out if you ever get bit by one.
      South Dakota

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the tip. Yet another thing I should have payed attention to.
        Funny story.. I was bit by a horse, once when I was very little..maybe 5 or 6. I was feeding it a piece of bubble gum from my palm. The horse grabbed it with its lips but didn't get it real well and the gum dropped to the ground. Being the sweet little kid I was, I didn't want the horse to not get gum when the other horses did. I quickly bent down to pick it up, almost as soon as it hit the ground. Apparently, the horse did not like the idea of me picking it up and it let me know by biting me on the ear as I was bent over. Man, did that hurt!

• SDhunter
        SDhunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Lucky you still have your ear!

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        My uncle told me it was a warning nibble, lol.

I hunt a farm when they grade it. I found out pony’s look cute but can be mean and sneaky. That pony kept trying to sneak up behind me to give me a bite. Owners like to watch me from the window while I’m hunting for points.! I bet it’s like having popcorn at the movies
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Originally posted by SurfaceHunter View Post
        I hunt a farm when they grade it. I found out pony’s look cute but can be mean and sneaky. That pony kept trying to sneak up behind me to give me a bite. Owners like to watch me from the window while I’m hunting for points.! I bet it’s like having popcorn at the movies
        ………………..
        It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
        It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
        Circa:1982

Comment

Working...
        X