Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coral? Coprolite? Fossilized popcorn?

Surface find Catron County NM
    I once saw a picture of turtle coprolite and it looked kind of similar...
    Any help is much appreciated!

-C.J.
    Last edited by CJRocks101; 11-08-2018, 04:31 PM. Reason: I forgot the photos...

We need pictures.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• CJRocks101
      CJRocks101 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooooops 😅

Comment

Looks like geodes

Comment

This is one of those things that would require a hands on evaluation
        Coprolitic material will for the most part be highly absorbent,. wet your finger and place it on your specimen.
        If your finger sticks it could be coprolite. If not try your tongue. Sounds gross but if you think about it if it's fossilized it is stone therefore will not have that tasty appeal, or aroma.
        Otherwise they appear to be stony objects. Tell me have you found anything else in the immediate vicinity where these came from?
        If so it could give us a clue. Also got any information on deposit they originated from?
        It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
        It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
        Circa:1982

Comment

• CJRocks101
          CJRocks101 commented
          Editing a comment
          Remembering that I found some really tiny seashells in the area. Really tiny. Spiral ones, round like a cookie. Spiral ones long like a spring. And another type sort of like a swirl on a soft serve ice cream cone. So fragile that they break if you look at them sideways!
          I'm unsure exactly what 'deposit' origination actually means! Sorry! . Fence Lake Formation??
          lol, I just learned that it's "Specimen" when I pick it up!! Thanks for that!!
          Smarter than I was a minute ago!
      Working...
      X