Fossilized Head.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fossilized Head.

I recently found this fossilized head. I am more a collector of arrowheads and Indian artifacts, than fossils. please help me identify this find.This last photo shows the side of the head and a glimps inside of what looks like a ribbed esaphagus.

Thanks John...

Pictures a little fuzzy John! Looks like it might be a quartzite river pebble.

Comment

No stone figurine there  B)

Comment

It appears to be a brachiopod.
        Can't be positive it's just a little fuzzy.
        Then again it could be a type of blastoid or crinoid cap.
        Not a fossil skull....did this reply burst any bubbles? :laugh:
            B)   Bone2stone
        It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
        It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
        Circa:1982

Comment

Bone2stone wrote:

It appears to be a brachiopod.
          Can't be positive it's just a little fuzzy.
          Then again it could be a type of blastoid or crinoid cap.
          Not a fossil skull....did this reply burst any bubbles? :laugh:
              B)   Bone2stone
            Actually, I think that's a bit weird, Jessy. It's clearly not a skull, as you say, but the morphology looks wrong for most of the things I could imagine it to be. It looks like it has a dividing ridge on one side and some kind of flap-like structure on the other side that ends in something hinge-like which isn't like a conventional bivalve hinge. Have you seen anything like that before? I though it might be part of a mole-crab shell at first (but it isn't).
          John: any chance of sharper pictures of the 'hinged' end and both of the larger surfaces?
          Roger
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

that thing is creepy hmy: ....I have never seen anything like it before, the features on it are very symmetrical so I don't think it's a geofact.
            Southern Connecticut

Comment

Kinda looks like one of them stomach stones?

Comment

turkeytail wrote:

gastropod?.....or sumptin like that???.....never seen one of them in person either, we don't have a that kinda kool stuff here darn it! :angry:
                Southern Connecticut

Comment

Karly has a Dinosaur stomach stone some were....Ill look for it. It was bought off at Sloan Museum.

Comment

[QUOTE]cgode wrote:

Originally posted by turkeytail post=33896
                    gastropod?.....or sumptin like that???.....never seen one of them in person either, we don't have a that kinda kool stuff here darn it! :angry:

I'm confident it's a fossil. I just don't recognise the form. If it's brachiopod it's not a species that I recognise (or a typical morphology).
                    Roger
                    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Cant find it but found were my neolithic point and a few others went to!

Comment

Roger, I will get right on the task of posting clearer photos. Hope to have them uploaded soon, thanks... John.

Comment

t-rat.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, t-rat.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

turkeytail wrote:

t-rat.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, t-rat.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                            Thanks Mark
                            Some info here on the forum too:

So, let’s have a little fun here with a “teaser” item. Here she is: http://forums.arrowheads.com/media/kunena/attachments/1841/Notjustarock1.jpg

I'm sure it's not a gastrolith. It's symmetrical and looks to be hollow too.
                            Roger

Comment

while trying to take better photos of this fossil, I made a discovery. A chunk of dirt fell out of an indent at the base and dirt poured out. It's hollow.

Top view; and Bottom view

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/...terhead012.jpg not found

I am having trouble showing the desired detail in this photo, my camera wont show the detail I want to because, I think it is trying to read a face in the photo and ignoring the detail on either side of the fossil head. What this is, is a portion of throat, or a lining inside the monsters mouth. It has a ribbed texture like an esophagus.

Comment

Working...
                              X