Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roger - Big Bend Texas Fossil

Roger
    This was found about 1/4 mile from my house in Big Bend along side a dirt road. The area was covered by a shallow sea millions of years ago.

Jack

what type of fossil do you think it is?it looks rely neat what ever it is I have something that has those circle marks kind of but it is blue and grey and I call it a digital rock but I think its a fossil of some sort found it where I collect my artifacts I will have to put a picture out.

Comment

Do not know what it is.
      Jack

Comment

Wild looking!

Comment

Hi Jack
          Welcome back... missed ya. Hope you brought back some of that mud you've been digging in. It would have been useful here last week. Good for throwin' :laugh:
          I would say that’s a nice chunk of fossilised coral reef. The two “sandwich” plates look to be disc or plate corals… possibly a Turbinaria species or something similar (ignore the colour... that doesn't survive):

They frequently have those frilly edges and may grow like a haphazard series of stacked cookies (or even in neat matching pairs):

Unless that's a single thick plate (unusual), I think you have more than one species there. The plate coral looks to have intergrown with at least one other kind of tabulate coral (the honeycomb-like material). Apart from solitary rugose types, corals frequently grow together as a species mixture to form a reef:

Typically they begin to commonly appear in the fossil record from around 450 million years ago. For Big Bend, I would think lower cretaceous is most likely.
          Roger
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Very nice chunk of reef you have there!

Comment

Roger
              Thanks for the info.
              Jack

Comment

Working...
              X