Fossil "Lick Test"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fossil "Lick Test"

I don't have much trouble identifying fossil bone vs rocks anymore but early on in my hunts I learned from an old timer that if you lick (touch your tongue to it) many-most fossil bone it will stick a little. Rocks no sticky. Silicified, old bone artifacts will feel sticky even to the touch... The porous character of bone structure causes this. I don't suggest anyone taste rocks some are very poisonous.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

I’ve done a field wash or 2 before if I think it’s a killer after I rub the dirt off. Just so you know not all dirt taste the same
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• tomclark
      tomclark commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL I hear ya. After I rub the dirt off, beads usually go in the mouth!

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      That has me rolling on the floor laughing. Just waht the Doctir ordered. Laughter is the best medicine.

There was a guy a few years ago doing video of him licking the mud off of artifacts. Now that was gross I can’t remember his name think he is still around. Wasn’t on this site might of been Ology. But he found some killers
    NW Georgia,

Comment

There is a utube of a guy that does a car wash . Throws it in his mouth .

Comment

I know some old timers who did the same thing with pottery. It was thought that older materials will absorb the saliva, and newer pieces won’t. A little water on the finger does the same thing, but you lose the ‘sticky tongue’ test.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I test for amber and jet by tapping it on my teeth...get some funny looks from the locals..nothing new there! They call me "cobble chomps" round here...I shared that trick with a beachcomber the other day, he was appalled and said he would rather carry a bucket of water to do a float test. Thats practical...

Comment

Working...
          X