Two New Fossils-Related Pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two New Fossils-Related Pages

Not so long ago, I uploaded two new personal, completely non-commercial paleontology-related pages:

1) Fossil Plants At The Chalk Bluff Hydraulic Gold Mine, California, over at http://inyo3.coffeecup.com/auriferousgravels/auriferousgravels.html .

It's a field trip to a world-famous middle Eocene fossil plant locality (around 48 to 45 million years old) exposed at an abandoned hydraulic gold mine (operated from the late 1850s to roughly 1884) in the western foothills of California's Sierra Nevada. Includes: detailed text; photographs of fossil leaves and petrified wood, and on-site images, as well.

2) High Sierra Nevada Fossil Plants, Alpine County, California over at http://inyo3.coffeecup.com/highsierra/highsierra.html .

It's a visit to a 7 million year-old (late Miocene) fossil leaf and petrified wood locality situated above the local timberline in California's High Sierra Nevada district. Features a detailed text, with on-site photographs and images of representative fossil specimens.

Also included is an overview of the paleobotany and vertebrate paleontology along the general route to the High Sierra fossil site (text and photos). Three Tertiary Period geologic rock formations exposed in California's Gold Country, western foothills of the Sierra Nevada, yield locally plentiful leaves and mineralized skeletal material from mammals, amphibians, reptiles, and fish (the extinct sabertooth salmon, for example): the middle Eocene Ione Formation (leaves); the late Oligocene to early Miocene Valley Springs Formation (leaves); and the late mid Miocene to late Pliocene Mehrten Formation (leaves and vertebrate fossils).

Interesting ! I have heard of the frog contest. The dog coprolite was interesting , I’d not know it if I saw one. I like the jaw bones, I’d know that fossil..A beautiful area ! I only read the High Sierra doc..I’ll read the mine doc later ! JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok I had to read the first doc. Looks like the hydraulic miners did everyone a favor ! I’m not understanding why the pet wood is unidentifiable ...Out here we are not privy to such fossils. However I have drilled into formations containing green leafed plants, they destabilize quickly at surface. The conditions just above the water formations must be perfect to sustain the flora as one can watch the chlorophyll disintegrate in hand. In a different instance, near a city New Deal, there is a volcanic water formation. Honeycomb the formation once contained vast amounts of water. We would test pump new wells and small, clear, blind catfish would come out, sometimes whole.They were about 2” long and one could see their internal organs. Alas , we have destroyed their domain with over pumping decades ago.They were living fossils, at a depth of 150-180’ in depth. They were sterile as no one ever got sick from drinking the water. Prehaps some of the species survives, I certainly hope so..

Wow that was a great post and info!!! Gotta come back to it over and over! Thx. Post some pics of the artifacts you've found while fossil hunting. I know you have 'em lolol.
    Last edited by tomclark; 02-13-2019, 09:22 AM.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Instead of making a new post all you have to do is comment on this one and it will bring it back up. Simply make a post that says bump and it will end up right back in the top posts of the day.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Also If you would like you can have the links put into your signature line. We like cross traffic. Its good for everyone.
    Working...
    X