No announcement yet.

What's this ?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What's this ?

    Found this in one of my arrowhead creeks a few yrs. ago and really don't know what it is. One friend said it was a hunk of tree bark ,another said it was fossilized mud. It looks like a fossil algie patch to me but really dont know. The layer of what ever has some depth to it, probably 1/32" deep and the layer it's on is about 1/2" before it turns to regular rock. Just don't know. This it from SE IA.
    Last edited by oldrocks2; 02-26-2019, 05:33 PM.

  • #2
    Down in Arkansas there is a geologic formation called Carpet rocks. That looks similar on a smaller scale.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store


    • creekside
      creekside commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hoss, I've been looking at these things since I was 12 years old trying to figure out how they were formed (find these types of rock formations on my grandparents property here in Kentucky) that you've giving me a name for it, I can now look it up and learn a little something

  • #3
    I think it's both. Has a fossiliferous layer/side and definitely a mud bubble kinda clay turned to stone deal. Really neat piece.
    Professor Shellman


    • #4
      Yeah that is very Geo cool .