X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Day the Dinosaurs Died

Quite the amazing discovery.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0329144223.htm

In North Dakota's Hell Creek Formation, at a site called the Tanis outcrop, paleontologists found the Holy Grail of fossils, representing the moments after the dinosaur-killing asteroid struck.
    Last edited by CMD; 03-29-2019, 11:08 PM.
    Rhode Island

Interesting read, I enjoyed it. That was a long way north for all to go on, can’t imagine what all happened further south. Also, I’ve tried to keep up with the nano diamonds found at the Clovis layer. I’ve not seen much on the Hudson Bay theory in years. Thanks Sir
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Originally posted by Lindenmeier-Man View Post
      Interesting read, I enjoyed it. That was a long way north for all to go on, can’t imagine what all happened further south. Also, I’ve tried to keep up with the nano diamonds found at the Clovis layer. I’ve not seen much on the Hudson Bay theory in years. Thanks Sir
      This very recent discovery, while not yet dated(and a second crater has since been found) may be the huge impactor associated with the onset of the Younger Dryas cold snap, that I believe you are referring to.

Regarding the North Dakota discovery, that a fossil bed of many animals killed within one hour of the asteroid impact was discovered, is truly one of the most jaw dropping paleontological discoveries of our lifetimes.

The Greenland crater, which may be the Younger Dryas impactor. Time will tell, it will be dated:

https://bgr.com/2018/11/15/greenland...ter-ice-sheet/

Rhode Island

Comment

TY . If they can nail it down to the last ice age, that would explain almost everything! Yes the impact that covered the extinction level event is important , as well as the find. I’m more interested in the end of the last ice age, the Clovis people and megafauna event. Also the emergence of the Folsom culture as it has now been shortened from 500 years to 400. To me that new number is substantial ! Again, thanks for the video as I will try to keep up with any new info .....JJ
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          In fact, several factors point to this crater being young enough to actually be of Younger Dryas age. It's remote, but they will get there, and they will date the crater precisely. In time....

Crazy find. I wonder if this will change Greta Keller's mind. She has been arguing against the asteroid theory for decades now. Not sure she rejects an impact but claims volcanoes did in the dinos.
        Central Ohio

Comment

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          The asteroid theory for the cause of the extinction event is not universally accepted, and volcanoes are supported by some. It's not a settled debate, and, for that matter, many scientists will want to independently visit and examine this North Dakota site to see for themselves.

• Lindenmeier-Man
          Lindenmeier-Man commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve got to submit that a impact such as that could have triggered volcanic events ! This would include both theories into a dramatic situation !

• flintguy
          flintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, the impact triggered volcanic activity, but she insists there were years and years of heavy volcanic ash falling before the impact and that life was declining everywhere for an extended period of time before the impact. Interesting idea, but Keller seemed like she would take any criticism personal. Her rejection of other ideas if valid rubs me the wrong way. Who knows, she could be right, some of her points seem valid. Marine sediment records. Was probably a combination of things and hopefully more finds like this will help decide the matter.

Being such a large event, I'm surprised other similar spots haven't been discovered, considering the displacement of mud on that large of a scale, then baking it essentially.
        Central Ohio

Comment

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          It's not at all easy finding a single day in time, if you think of it. A lot easier said then done. This is the first such site, maybe there will be others, but all conditions must be just right to find such a site.

Charlie , thanks for posting this there has been so many things on lately I have been thinking of you .
        How about a these meteriotes ?

Comment

A great topic !
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Originally posted by Lindenmeier-Man View Post
            A great topic !
            LM, you might enjoy the YouTube video at this thread, which documents the largest meteor airburst in our lifetime. 1500 people injured in the 2013 Chelyabinsk meteorite fall. Injured not by the fall, but by the airburst or shockwave. Had the impactor entered at a more vertical angle, and had the airburst occurred just a few miles lower in the atmosphere, up to 1 million people would have died.

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...-meteor-strike

Rhode Island

Comment

Very interesting post. Just wondering if you saw this recent story? https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBUUlvb?m=en-c...rID=InAppShare

Comment

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes I did....

No Tamara really likes this . Going to start it over tonight and watch . Thank you Charlie !

Comment

Working...
              X