It's A Fossil! But, What?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's A Fossil! But, What?!

While I pride myself on my surface hunting for archeological finds, that's primarily Indian artifacts we're talking. When I find something like this, I could really use the help with what it is exactly I'm dealing with here. While my Dad had been hoping it was a wooly mammoth tooth, I've had others tell me things from plant to clam, so, I don't know. It's apparently hematite, and picked up in Mercer County, western PA. Anybody out there have a clue?

looks like Mammoth enamel plate to me.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

i have never seen in hand a chunk of mammoth plate so i might be wrong with my choice but i think its a chunk of a giant beaver tooth.

Comment

Thank you both for your two cents! You best believe I'l be looking into this, and now I know some searches to make.

Comment

Idk....but based on pic in above article link.....looks like it could be ancient beaver tooth.....I go back out and look for that ancient tail
        Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

This material predates the mammoth & Beaver theory.
          Looks to be hematite (Iron)
          West PA....Hmmm
          Lets go back to ~300 million years.
          This specimen was most likely flora not fauna.
          Horsetail (Stem)

Bone2stone
          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
          Circa:1982

Comment

• Pointdexter
            Pointdexter commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Bone2Bone. I did have it looked at by a fossil expert who agreed it's hematite and a piece of some sort of plant, explaining that there should be more around the area I picked it up at.
        Working...
        X