Spike of some sort in creekbed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spike of some sort in creekbed

Thinking this may be coral - there is a lot around here but I haven't seen anything quite like this yet. The tip was sticking out of the ground and the second smaller piece was directly below the wide end of the larger spike. The smaller piece doesn't seem to be broken off of the larger one, but has similar layering. Just want to be sure before I stick it with the rest of the coral and forget about it. I have also found petrified wood in the same area but again, nothing like this.

Wow JM. Ya got me on that one. Fossilized unicorn horn? Lol...it sure is interesting. I have seen fossilized ivory but that doesn't seem like it. We have some good fossil folks on here. Lets see what they say. I wanna know also…nice find.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• jmccarthy
      jmccarthy commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha, unicorn didn't occur to me for some reason. I should have asked my daughter

Possibly a bovine horn.🤔
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• jmccarthy
      jmccarthy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Bruce, we do have those here in Central Texas! I have also found bison teeth and bones, which weren't fossilized, as this one definitely is. I was poking around on Google images and it doesn't seem to have the curve that a horn would, but the structure is similar to horns and teeth. Maybe a whale?

Looks like petrified wood. Maybe petrified tree root.

Comment

My first thought was a hunk of antler, but clearly the other pictures show that it isn’t antler.

No clue, neat.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

How about a horn core from the extinct bison, Bison latifrons. Not much , if any curvature needed with them.
        Coastal Plain of Maryland

Comment

Is it solid or hollow?
          Child of the tides

Comment

Looks like a really really old petrified tree root.
            SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Put a little vinegar on it see if it fizzes.
              To me it appears to be calcium phosphate much like or similar to a stalagmite/tite.
              Sometimes forms as a result of soil leachate and develops filling in an existing weak area in substrate.
              Cool rock but doubtful that it is a fossil.
              It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
              It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
              Circa:1982

Comment

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                I believe we have a winner.

I’ve seen a good many stalactite/mite over the years and it looks a lot like one to me, the layering especially...

This particular post particularly fascinated me (every post fascinates me), and I gotta know: did unicorn horn fizzle when put vinegar on it?! I thought petrified tree root (had one in my collection in elementary school) until saw picture of prehistoric bison horns which looked remarkably similar. Did you figure out anything?
              Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Definitely limestone stalactite. I recently found the cave upstream where it likely came from.

Comment

Agree.

Comment

Working...
                  X