Crinoids from Cumberland Lake, Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crinoids from Cumberland Lake, Kentucky

My mom found these over the weekend at Lake Cumberland. She and a friend must have found over 1,000 of these little things, and split them between themselves. Ron, I believe this is your thing, Crinoids...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0475.jpg
Views:	1695
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	392102

Some of them already have holes, and some do not. Is there a way to open up the wholes without breaking them? How would y'all suggest cleaning them?

Here's the big question. She wants some of them to be shiny, like the ones she see's on necklaces. Dare I ask how to do that?
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Hey Ethan, That is a huge haul of crinoid stems. The ones I have were recovered from an ancient site in Texas. They all had holes in them. I strung them up on five thirt inch strands.

Name:	Fossil Strands.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	392115

Name:	Beads, Texas Fossil Strand 1b.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	392116
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Crinoid City!

California

Comment

All I find in IA are crusted in a soft rock and a soak in vinegar desolves the rock off. I think it must be limestone the way it reacts. No damage to the stems. As for the holes you might have to do a little drilling if you want to string them. Found some slabs of complete ones and had to use dilute muriatic acid brushed over the slab to make them show nice, GLASSES GLOVES.
        SE IA

Comment

Working...
        X