• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mammoth Tusk Fragment

Found on southern Minnesota rock bar.

Awesome find
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Sergeir, I wouldn’t know a mammoth tusk if it hit me in the head! Assume way up north was mammoth country at one time. 🤷‍♀️ Cool!
      Child of the tides

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ll bet if the tusk was still attached to a living mammoth, you’d know it, lol. Sorry, I must be in a silly mood....

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you CMD for silliness!

Is something like this fossilized or still original product?

Comment

Nice piece of elephant bark!
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
          Is something like this fossilized or still original product?
          There will be some mineralisation, but it won't be a fossil in the 'mineral-replaced' sense. The scientific definition for fossil is that it should be at least 10,000 years old, so it is technically a fossil whatever the preservation method.

Great find Sergeir.
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thank you! Brain is bored.
            Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Hal Gorges
              Hal Gorges commented
              Editing a comment
              Might I be so bold as to suggest bird watching between finds.

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Brother is bird watcher. Used to listen to bird songs on 8-track. Tells me stuff.
              He is little brother.. Once I beat up a kid for pushing him down. Now, he and I share stories!
              Last edited by Cecilia; 06-01-2020, 11:48 PM.

Good that you recognized what it was
            South Dakota

Comment

.I may have posted this before, but this is one of my specimens of mammoth hair. It's NOT fossilised in a mineral replacement sense... it's the actual hair, recovered from the Lena River region of Siberia:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mammoth Hair.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	458130
              Mammoths moulted their winter coats in spring and tufts of it have ended up preserved in the permafrost. During spring thaws, it comes down the streams into the river and gets snagged on twigs and other vegetation. The slightly reddish hue is an artefact of iron-staining and oxidation but led to a belief that mammoths were "ginger". Actually, the winter coat was dark brown, approaching black (at least for Mammuthus primigenius, which is what my specimen is from). It's around 22,000 years old. This clump has a mixture of the thick 'guard' hairs and the finer inner coat hairs.
              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Pain, may I touch you? How much better can this get?
                Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

That hair is fantastic, great post.
                  Floridaboy.

Comment

Originally posted by painshill View Post
                    .I may have posted this before, but this is one of my specimens of mammoth hair. It's NOT fossilised in a mineral replacement sense... it's the actual hair, recovered from the Lena River region of Siberia:

Name:	Mammoth Hair.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	458130
                    Mammoths moulted their winter coats in spring and tufts of it have ended up preserved in the permafrost. During spring thaws, it comes down the streams into the river and gets snagged on twigs and other vegetation. The slightly reddish hue is an artefact of iron-staining and oxidation but led to a belief that mammoths were "ginger". Actually, the winter coat was dark brown, approaching black (at least for Mammuthus primigenius, which is what my specimen is from). It's around 22,000 years old. This clump has a mixture of the thick 'guard' hairs and the finer inner coat hairs.
                    Yes you have posted it, did you post on that fossil site forum too? Or am I just cornfuzed.
                    Jess Boe
                    It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                    It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                    Circa:1982

Comment

Originally posted by Bone2stone View Post

Yes you have posted it, did you post on that fossil site forum too? Or am I just cornfuzed.
                      Jess Boe
                      No idea Jess.

Name:	No Idea.gif
Views:	125
Size:	275 Bytes
ID:	460906

Don't keep track of what I've posted where unless it's recent.

Comment

Working...
                      X