Point in bone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point in bone

This has bids, can't believe it. I have seen dozens at shows over the years and don't think I ever saw one that was good. Is this the first real one, doubt it.
    SE IA

That’s pretty crazy. Man I can’t imagine finding something like that.

Comment

That hurts!
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

That would have been hard to make it a few hundred years and still look like that...
        North Carolina

Comment

One of the most esteemed members of TNet recently found a real one himself. It is awesome, and the members voted it a Banner Find. I am not comfortable posting a link to the thread in question, although I'd love to, lol, just so you could see it. It's remarkable. . TNet does not appreciate people posting links to other forums, and I guess I should not do the same thing here. Of course, we all know there are other forums. He posted it to their Native American Artifacts forum on June 21st, with the title "Found Something Really Cool!". Not one person thought it was fake, including myself. The guy is too on the up and up to fake it, and too experienced to be fooled by a plant.
          Last edited by CMD; 09-27-2019, 07:36 AM.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Hard to say if good or not O2.. I suppose it might be. The Kennewick pelvis had a broken paleo projectile in pelvis and survived..
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I just don't know. The bone looks too new, for it to be any value to me. Just my opinion.
              "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Well from what can see, the point even looks new. The bone is cracked, no doubt from the point being stuck in there. But if the point hit that bone, the animal would have been alive with softer, living bone material, and the point wouldn't have cracked it. I think some one created a look a like hole for the point, then hammered it in with a soft piece of wood, but in doing so, cracked the old dried up bone. I don't believe this is real at all!!
                http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

I don't have a knowledgeable opinion to offer so I probably should just be quiet. HST, I would like to see what the embedded end of the point looks like.

Comment

Well, I can't stand it, lol. I want you all to see a real one. A few things I will add. Although I do not know the finder, he was a very close friend of a friend of mine, a friend who passed a few years ago. I would sooner believe my own mother, rest her soul, would post a fake then believe this man made all this up. If my late friend held him in high regard, which he did, that is personally good enough for me. I would also point out that our own clovisoid, who has a different handle in the thread, mentions knowing of several genuine examples. Also, a professional archaeologist weighed in, explaining aspects of the find that convinced him it is the real deal. I guess a couple of posters expressed doubt, and many came to the defense of the finder when that happened. Again, I'd sooner believe my mother would fake this then the guy who found it. There are additional photos seen later in the thread:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/no...ally-cool.html
                    Rhode Island

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                      2ndoldman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That is totally cool Charlie. . 😱

A friend of mine had a section of a deer's spine that he shot with a moden broad head piercing it. Pretty impressive how arrowheads can penetrate bone without smashing them in the process.
                    New York

Comment

It would be an easy task for someone in this day and age-with Skills using a ‘Dremel’ tool to inlay a point into Bone. I’ll just leave it at that.

Comment

Never been lucky enough to find a point embedded in bone, but I did find a Neolithic scraper embedded in / welded to a chunk of bone some years ago. I was sure this was going to be a piece of cement or concrete when I reached down for it, but it's definitely spongiform bone. The scraper seems to be wedged into a cut and either couldn't be removed or was accidentally discarded with the bone during a butchery job.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scraper in Bone.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	395084
                        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Cecilia
                          Cecilia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wow
                      Working...
                      X