Giant crinoid fossil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant crinoid fossil

Hey all,I figured I would contribute something to here since I do not think I have posted this anywhere. I found this in the summer of 2016, when I was wading barefoot thru Indian Creek in Powell co KY looking for fossils and (unlikely because the creek is so rough) artifacts. I was digging my hands through the deep sand underneath the pebbles, and I felt something and pulled this up. It was identified as a crinoid fossil, but that is all I know. Its crazy to imagine all these holes on it, there used to be a living creature inside those holes millions and millions of years ago. The level of detail on this thing is incredible.

Cool fossil. ..looks like a sponge man
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Very nice conglomerate fossil ....
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I removed your comment about bashing someone. I am not sure how anyone would know what you meant. This is a family forum . We have members as young as 8 here. Please keep that in mind when making comments. Thanks
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

my b

Comment

I'm not sure where you get crinoid out of that. There are some ribbed looking lines that look like there may have been a few fossil brachiopods enclosed in the stone that fell out. But I don't see evidence of any crinoids.
            http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• painshill
              painshill commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree, and would question who "identified it as a crinoid fossil". I'm also mystified by the comment "there used to be a living creature inside those holes". Crinoids are and were either free-swimming/floating or bottom-anchored and drifting/waving with the currents... but they don't live in holes. I see what you see... a conglomeration of marine fossil material that seems to be composed mainly of rudists, with perhaps some brachiopod impressions.

• Bone2stone
              Bone2stone commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with Roger on this, I personally see a species of Coral. Well at least it is a fossil, not just a rock.

Bone2stone

• painshill
              painshill commented
              Editing a comment
              I wouldn't rule out there being some coralline material there, but I think much of it is rudist material of an 'elevator' nature. They can look awful similar to corals. Some examples at the link below. Whichever, I think we're agreed it's what we would loosely call 'reef conglomerate'.

Rudists are a group of box, tube, or ringshaped marine heterodont bivalves that arose during the Late Jurassic and became so diverse during the Cretaceous that they were major reefbuilding organisms in the Tethys Ocean. The Late Jurassic forms were elongate, with both valves being similarly shap

Ah thanks for the clarification guys. I can't remember who told me it was a crinoid.

Comment

Working...
            X