Unknown.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown.

Any ideas? I am stumped. Found in a Creek in Madison County Kentucky.

It's a fossil gastropod (marine snail) that has broken apart. Something in the territory of a Bellerophon species perhaps.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• sailorjoe
      sailorjoe commented
      Editing a comment
      Outstanding Roger! I was only going to say it looks like some kind of fossil, that being pretty much all I could say. We all are enriched by your return from your long hiatus.

Appreciate the input. Thank you.

Comment

I was just heading for bed when I saw this and didn't have the time to find you a helpful picture. This is Bellerophon crassus, but by no means the only gastropod possibility. Imagine this split in half ventrally such that the interior spiral wall of the shell chamber is exposed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bellerophon_crassus_1a_small1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	61.4 KB ID:	396568
      [Picture from 'Bluff County Fossils' website]
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I see what you mean My dad had found this a few years ago. He thought it was some sort of "claw" or "talon". Your answer seems to make the most sense. Thank you.

Comment

Neat looking fossil. You could sell it on eBay as a Paleo Ear Eppigy...!
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

Working...
          X