Whale of an ear fossil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whale of an ear fossil

Found this yesterday outside East Carolina University. Fun day creek seiving with my boys. I have seen whale ear bone fossils before. The other piece looks like coprolite.
    North Carolina

The smaller of the two pieces looks like an ammonite fossil....

Or possibly a gastropod fossil.
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      First thing I thought, my Dog’s do hasn’t had time enuf to fossilize into coprolite.....

Whale ear bones (tympanic bullae) are among my favourite fossils for teasing youngsters with a riddle. Here's one of mine from a sperm whale. Kids usually guess 'shell' but I give them a clue that they're looking at the smallest bone from just about the largest animal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tympanic Bulla - Sperm Whale.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	405982

The second fossil appears to be, as Charlie says, a nautiloid ammonite.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

This completely unknown to me before today! Haven’t felt gratitude in awhile. How appropriate for Thanksgiving Day!
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Nice fossil's Carolina Hunter! I am amazed at how many fossils come out of that Creek. I have a buddy who hunts it it occasionally and finds very nice teeth and fossils consistently. Thanks for sharing!
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Nice finds carolina hunter
          Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Working...
          X