Bison skull with embedded Calf Creek point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bison skull with embedded Calf Creek point

Ran across this while reading up on the Calf Creek culture. Click image for larger version  Name:	bf46a3c59f462868d37fffd250156f1b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.1 KB ID:	419259 308_arrow.pdf
    Last edited by hudson; 01-25-2020, 08:07 AM.
    east Tx.

The PDF on the bottom right is the transcript from the show.
    east Tx.

Comment

Hmmm.. I’m thinking that a ice age skull.. I know Andice, Calf Creek, and Bell are early...I don’t know if the skull and point correlate in time....
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

That's a big ol' point. If the skull is ice age related, why is an archaic point stuck in it's skull? Just wondering out loud.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Calf Creek points are 4k-6k bp. The skull dated 5k bp.
          east Tx.

Comment

Awesome just read it. We always called larger points spear points growing up. I’ve come to adapt to a more modern way of thinking larger longer points being used as knives but maybe we were correct in our thinking back then that something that’s so long and pointed would make an excellent spear point as well as a knife. I thought just by looking at it that this skull it just looked all wrong. I’m glad they were able to confirm the authenticity. I have no problem believing in the ice age scenario and the mega fauna disappearing from the thaw and hunting pressure . There’s some very interesting presentations by biblical scholars and the ice age that immediately followed the biblical flood. I think that it would put NA’s arrival at about3800- 3500 years ago . The flood was approximately 4000 years ago, So it took awhile to repopulate then begin making a push into north America. I think that there was a large group that first made their appearance as they followed the coastlines that were more seasonal due to warmer ocean temps versus the colder inland temps and sheets of ice. Anyway I’m rambling on . No doubt these guys drilled that buffalo with that point. I don’t think that was a kill shot though. I shot an axis deer 3 times in the head one time before it died. 17hmr. My First shot entered base of horn similar to where the spear point did. ( he was looking at me)The buffalo May have been coming at a head on charge I can see it now how it might have played out. What if the guy did have that hafted to a knife handle and jumped on it a rammed it into the skull. I’ve jumped on the back of a buck grab horns and had to slit his throat. I can see this scenario too. Thanks for the article

Comment

Lanced it in its skull. That is something else right there!
              keep on keepin after

Comment

I have seen this before. Awesome artifact
                South Dakota

Comment

This is possibly the most interesting artifact I’ve ever seen. I Now have a new bucket list artifact, bison skull with embedded point, should be plenty of those out there to find..

Comment

Working...
                  X