Check this out..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check this out..

Is it possible this is a starfish.? Found it in eastern ks today on a new property..cant think of anything else that could create that shape?
    Attached Files
    Kansas

Neat find! Here's a few ideas...

'true starfish' fossil (Asteroidea)

fossils, Types of fossils, identifying fossils, fossil bone, age, collecting, Paleontological, Fossil Identification Key, map, data

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"5-pointed star shapes

Stars are generally five-sided in fossils, and this type of symmetry is common to echinoderms. Several types of fossil echinoderms can be found in Kentucky.

Top view of a blastoid calyx, often has a star-shape on it. It can look like a starfish on a blastoid.
    A star-shaped hole in the center of a circular fossil is typical of some crinoid columnals.
    True starfish fossils are rare but can be found in limestones.
    Some fossil plants may have narrow leaves around a central stem, causing a star-like shape. There will generally be black (carbon) in gray shale, and from the coal fields."

fossils, Types of fossils, identifying fossils, fossil bone, age, collecting, Paleontological, Fossil Identification Key, map, data
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Don, I think Upatree is indicating Kansas, and there is a starfish fossil on this page describing fossils from Kansas that looks like it's from the same formation, based on appearances.....

Rhode Island

Comment

• Olden
        Olden commented
        Editing a comment
        My bad. I think I needed more coffee!

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        No biggie. I've memorized the abbreviation forms of each state. Lol, just kidding. But you remind me, time for some more java....

And a nice find!
      Rhode Island

Comment

Wow great links...that picture does look like hers. When I was a kid I remember digging sharks teeth out of a big canyon in western ks...this fossil was found in the high tip of a hill in the flint hills..earth is an amazing place no doubt. I dont know why they call this area the flint hills..walked a half mile of a windy creek today and only saw sand stone..lol
        Kansas

Comment

Kool !
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

That's something you don't see every day
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Pretty awesome fossil
              South Dakota

Comment

Nice!!!!!
                SW Connecticut

Comment

That's a very cool find, but I think what you have there is an Asteriacites. Not a replacement fossil of the starfish itself, but a cast of the star-shaped hole it left behind in the sediment. Thes are what we call "ichnofossils" and represent feeding or resting burows of marine organisms. There appear to be feeding traces of other shapes left by other organisms in the surrounding matrix.
                  I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
                  X