Is this a tooth or horn??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a tooth or horn??

Found this in the Arkansas River not sure what it is, first impression is horn or tooth. Any help? Also I found this “sponge” thing any help on that would be great too. Thanks.

Don’t think it’s either one,,looks like a bone with a flange on one end, Like two two finger bones that connect,can’t be sure .....if it’s a claw it’s from a mighty big hombre.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

It sort of looks like a very worn section of antler. Almost like a billet used for knapping.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Okieknaphead
        Okieknaphead commented
        Editing a comment
        This would be great, I have a bopper I made from antler, horrible at using it but I have one. It doesn’t appear to be deer or elk in my opinion but I’ve been wrong before.

The fifth picture appears to be a bryozoan fossil... a colonial organism related to corals.

It's tough to identify the other item from the pictures but if it has come from marine deposits (as the bryozoan would have) then I think that it may perhaps be a tooth, but not a claw. One interesting things is that is has a roughly triangular cross section, which rules out many possibilities. At a guess, I would think it might be a cetacean tooth... perhaps from a toothed whale.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Okieknaphead
        Okieknaphead commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for putting some detective work into your analysis. I had been trying to find a tooth with the triangular cross section and it is soooo hard to find photos from the angle I need online! for now I think you have the best answer on this one. I think that’s where I shall lean in on my research. Thanks a bunch Painshill. I had been waiting to see your name or stone2bone pop up in the comments lol.

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to hear Painshillian dialect again. Knaphead, Pain prob’ly didn’t have to put any work into his analysis, detective or otherwise! He’s a fount, you know. I’m gonna be just like him when grow up...... just gotta get out of the illustrations in Helpful Glossary for Newbies first, and get to where you already are, the state of being prolific Finder. And Harold, Pain’s great motto(?) first espoused by Rudyard Kipling, one of my personal favorite dead people. (Carl Jung’s another very wonderful dead person...)
        Last edited by Cecilia; 03-18-2020, 10:05 AM.

• Bone2stone
        Bone2stone commented
        Editing a comment
        Although I agree on the possible bryzoan input, but considering "Oklahoma site" the triangle horn like thingie may be just an anomaly.
        Not a fossil at all.

I’m sure you are right on that one! I’m looking forward to getting out of kindergarten and into grade school and some people are teaching at university! I just want to sit at the front of the class and soak some of it up!

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Tell us more about your sponge-find, and send more pics, please!
    Working...
    X